Monday, June 13, 2016

Urinary Tract Infections and Problems Associated with Dementia

So, I guess I’m back.  

Mom had a lovely funeral, and I can’t say I won’t miss her - part of me feels vacant.  Yet, there is something that seems to be surrounding me that makes me wonder if she isn’t still about - in spirit.  I guess I’ll take that - it’s comforting to know she’s watching out for me.  

There are so many changes happening in the dementia field, at this writing, and I’m hoping to keep up, especially on my Google+ page for LBD, so there may be more answers in the near future, but cures?  I’m not so sure.  

However, I was reminded, today, of just how a simple UTI (Urinary Tract Infection) can cause symptoms resembling that of dementia.  Seriously - something as simple as this can begin a frothing of activity that could be easily cured with a visit to the doctor and medication (after providing an urine specimen).  

I recall visiting Mom’s first doctor after she had first arrived in Portland - I would explain that Mom had Lewy Body Dementia (which I discovered soon after they had no clue what it was), and they would ask (every time) if she had been checked for a UTI.  

Why?

Because, according to the literature from agingcare.com, Urinary Tract Infections can manifest the following:
  • Confusion, or delirium-like state
  • Agitation
  • Other behavioral changes
  • Poor motor skills or dizziness




Because the muscles in the urinary tract and its organs begin to weaken, so the urine isn’t as well-expelled as it is in the younger set.  This can lead to bacteria and infections in the kidneys, and bladder, and may also create some very serious conditions.  


The typical signs and symptoms of a UTI include:
  • Urine that appears cloudy
  • Bloody urine
  • Strong or foul-smelling urine odor
  • Frequent or urgent need to urinate
  • Pain or burning with urination
  • Pressure in the lower pelvis
  • Low-grade fever
  • Night sweats, shaking, or chills

Now, these are not symptoms only for those usually healthy, but also for those who suffer from dementia.  I know - Mom had had a couple of them, but they could never be sure, as she made it rather impossible for them to collect a sample; and, the elderly don’t necessarily present the fever or the night sweats/chills.  

According to the article, Sudden Changes in Behavior?  Urinary Tract Infection Could Be the Cause,   The following are examples of differences in behaviors from dementia patients (those already diagnosed), and I post them so you might have a better idea:

  • “For me, falling and hallucinations always mean check for UTI”“Our compromised elders, especially females often develop, “silent” urinary tract infections. These UTIs are called “silent” because they usually have no symptoms of pain, no burning, no odor, no frequency, etc. BUT there will often be profound changes in behaviors.”
  • “UTI, UTI, UTI, UTI, UTI! When my mother has a UTI she sleeps all day. We can’t get her out of bed, she will also stop eating. Have the doctor check her for a UTI. “
  • “UTI and dehydration!!!!! I’ve never been so happy to get that kind of diagnosis. They have her on IV antibiotics. The interesting thing was that her urine was clear and they were pretty sure she didn’t have a UTI. Luckily the testing came back positive.”
  • “With my aunt, I could always diagnose the UTI because she started acting crazier than her current norm. (When she picked up a glass of water and threw the water over her shoulder, I called it right away —UTI.)”


Now, with dementia, the symptoms may manifest with greater force, as this amplifies the stress and the delirium the patient suffers.  This is due to the stress the infection causes to the body (Why do Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) affect dementia?).  

Now, also according to the literature, patients and the elderly may have a harder time keeping themselves:

  • hydrated,
  • clean (more women than men suffer, as the urethra on females is close to the anus, and if they don’t wipe front to back it could cause the bacteria to enter),
  • and constipation can also create a problem as the pressure on the bladder may not allow for it to empty fully.  

So, if you’ve a loved one who is beginning to act a bit oddly, you might be dealing with some dementia, but first do have them checked for a UTI.  It could save a great deal of aggrevation in the moment.  

Further Reading:










3 comments:

  1. There is a safe & effective Natural Herbal Medicine. For Total Cure Call    +2349010754824,  or email him   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com       For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE contact him. Treatment with Natural Herbal Cure. For:Dengue Fever, Malaria. Painful or Irregular Menstruation. HIV/Aids. Diabetics. Vaginal Infections. Vaginal Discharge. Itching Of the Private Part. Breast Infection. Discharge from Breast. Breast Pain & Itching. Lower Abdominal Pain. No Periods or Periods Suddenly Stop. Women Sexual Problems. High Blood Pressure Chronic Disease. Pain during Sex inside the Pelvis. Pain during Urination. Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, (PID). Dripping Of Sperm from the Vagina As Well As for Low sperm count. Parkinson disease. Obesity, Lupus. Soreness/Injury  Cancer.  Tuberculosis.  Zero sperm count. Bacteria, Impotence Fertility,Protoplasmic, Diarrhea. Hepatitis A&B, Rabies. Asthma.  Quick Ejaculation. Gallstone, Cystic Fibrosis, Schizophrenia, Crubs, Cirrhosis,  Premature Ejaculation. Herpes. Joint Pain. Stroke. Cornelia Disease, Weak Erection. Ovarian problem,  HeartBurn, Erysipelas, Thyroid, Relapsing polychondritis,  Discharge from Penis. Bronchial Problem,  HPV.  Hepatitis A and B. STD. Smallpox, Staphylococcus + Gonorrhea + Syphilis. Heart Disease.  Pile-Hemorrhoid.rheumatism,  Impotence, thyroid, Autism, Depression,  Sepsis Bacteria,  Penis enlargement, Prostate Problem,  Waist & Back Pain.  Male Infertility and Female Infertility. Etc. Take Action Now. contact him & Order for your Natural Herbal Medicine:  +2349010754824  and email him    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    Note For an Appointment with (Dr.) AKHIGBE.I suffered in Cancer for a year and three months dying in pain and full of heartbreak. One day I was searching through the internet and I came across a testimony of herpes cure by doctor Akhigbe. So I contacted him to try my luck, we talked and he sent me the medicine through courier service and with instructions on how to be drinking it.To my greatest surprise drinking the herbal medicine within three weeks I got the changes and I was cured totally. I don't really know how it happens but there is power in Dr Akhigbe herbal medicine. He is a good herbalist doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading a post that can make men and women think. Also, thank you for permitting me to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic , the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete