Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Week Ending May 4, 2014

I had another post, but it just isn't ready for my taste, for this week - it will come up sometime in the next week, I suppose.

This week was a little odd, but nothing out of the ordinary.  That's why the other post wasn't going to work.  Besides, this one is shorter.

Monday found Mom with her friends, Connie and Jean, playing Scrabble.  AS I heard nothing happened out of the ordinary, I assume all was well.  Well, as well as could be.

The rest of the week, according to Mom, was typical - in other words, there really wasn't anything she recalls that was special.  She reported that she didn't have any BINGO, and she did do something with a ball they kick around, but other than that - nada new.

Her massage therapist phoned me and told me that she was thinking of adopting a service dog.  Mom had told her she'd like that (well, this morning Mom said, "I don't want any animals coming around me!  I'm not fond of dogs!").  I stated that it might actually be good, as Mom had developed a fondness for my Samson, but I wasn't sure if Mom remembered him, now  (Nope!  she asked me who he was, why I would even think she would like him, and all that.).
Samson, my peke-a-poo
She isn't doing this for Mom - but for all her clients, as she works with those in care facilities, like Mom.  She's a good egg, this therapist.  Mom adores her.

So, yesterday my brother, Lawrence came by and they had a great chat.  He brought her lovely red roses, and they sit on the sill of her garden window.  She told me he gave her hope that she would be able to move by Monday, May 5.  She told me too, that he had been in the house and vouchsafed for all contents and that it was in great shape!  She was pleased (Now, for those of you who don't know, the chances of Mom moving back are extremely slim - as in 99.99% not able to).  This calmed her.

Today, she complained of back pain, and stated that her entire body shape has changed over the past year.  This may be.  Some of this I blame on the Lewy Bodies, and some on her lack of exercise and eating as much ice cream as she does (but how can you not give her something she adores considering...).

We went to Mass at the Madeleine, but only after she redirected me to St. Rose where we discovered we'd have to wait as Mass began at 1030.  "To The Madeleine!" she commanded!  So we hied ourselves there.

After Mass I took her to Newport Seafood Grill at the Lloyd Center (Jean was at a memorial service, so was unable to host).  It was good.  We both ordered the same thing.  A HUGE burger.  She ate nearly half of hers and that was that.  No more.  Oh - a glass of Riesling that she savored.  Good conversation.

I offered to take her to Lloyd Center for an ice cream, and for exercise, but she wanted to go to a park.  So, off we went to Columbia Park in North Portland.

Once there, we walked several feet when she exclaimed how nauseous she was feeling.  We walked to a bench, and sat there, watching the clouds, sun, birds, wind, and all there was before us.  She was blissful.

I remembered the swim center there being open air, and so did Mom.  How things change in 40 years!


It's always fun when Mom is relaxed and able to have some fun!

We then drove back and stopped at Jack-in-the-box for a strawberry milkshake for her.  By the time we returned to St. A's (where she told me to go, as she needed a good nap) she said she was feeling pretty spry and frisky; but she did want to lie down and nap a bit.

She seemed tired, but calm and serene.  She was upset that her mother had died - I made the mistake of telling her it happened 40 years ago, and she vilified me.  She's under the belief that her mother died a very short time ago.

I did manage to take my grandmother's birthday gift out of the room before I left, without telling Mom.  I also took out many many paper bags to help begin to curb the clutter.  She may notice.

She hasn't been reading, and she told me as much.  She said she hadn't read for 3 weeks, at least.  When probed for a reason she responded that she just had too many other things to do.

And, yes, we're still hoarding silverware (a spoon fell out of her purse today - I forgot to check if she took any from the restaurant).  But she seems content.

Isn't that what matters now?!

No comments:

Post a Comment