Thursday, May 15, 2014

LBD - More Symptoms -Sleeping Disorders Part One: RBD (REM Sleep Behavior Disorder)

Wow.

Reading and keeping up with all this can be something of a ride!

I've been cuddling up with the book - A Caregiver's Guide to Lewy Body Dementia by Helen Buell Whitworth and James Whitworth (Hamilton Printing Company.  New York. 2011.), and it's just so full of useful information!
While I've shared some of what they've parlanced earlier in my blog, I've tried to keep things short and sweet - digestible in a sense.  I hope I have.

Today, I'm going to share with you about  a Sleeping Disorder - rather, REM Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD).  While there are more, I'm going to do my best to keep this as succinct as I possibly can.


According to the Whitworths -
     During normal dreams, or rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, the eyes move so much that they make the eyelids flutter.  However, the rest of a normally functioning body is temporarily paralyzed, which allows the body to remain at rest during even the most active dream sequences.  REM sleep behavior disorder is a brain dysfunction that removes this restriction and allows movement.  When people with RBD dream, they act out their dreams, talking and moving their limbs and sometimes becoming quite violent.  RBD is also called "active dreaming." These dreams, like hallucinations and delusions, are behavioral symptoms of LBD.

RBD is very common with LBD patients that it is known as a defining symptom.  They say it can begin well before any other signs may be present, and approximately 50% of those who present this sign will eventually be diagnosed with LBD; and if they already have Parkinson's disease, then the rate goes even higher.  

I'm not sure if this is a symptom with Mom.  As Dad passed approximately 19 years ago this July 13, no one has actually slept in the same room as she; however 10 years ago, I did voyage with her to the UK where we shared hotel accommodations, I was unaware of  any sort of activity of this sort.  So, with her this is not present, insofar as we are aware.

This symptom is also present with sleepwalking and talking, but those are not necessarily paired with RBD.  

The authors warn that should you have flailing and active dreams, be wary of any stress-induced situations, such as surgery, or even a medicinal reaction could trigger the dementia.  

Oddly, my uncle, who recently passed and had Parkinson's, had been hit by a car while on vacation, and shortly thereafter was diagnosed with Parkinson's.  My reaction was that the bump on the head could have triggered the disease, but this makes me take another look.  I was right, but in the wrong direction, so to speak, perhaps.

RBD is seen as an early manifestation of of a degenerative brain disease as it results from a disruption of the normal sleep paralysis preventing muscle relaxation.  

Now this sleep phenomenon is quite curious.  There are many manifestations of this which can occur, many times at the risk of any other bed occupant's physical health.  There are warnings and recommendations that partners switch to twin beds so each might stay safe at night.

Later, I will be writing about other sleep disorders that could be early indicators of LBD.  At this time, though, there are some people I wish to contact to follow up, and see what they might have to say on this and the links to LBD from RBD.  

I will hope to be posting resources at a future date - and will also link this blogpost to it.  

If I've been able to pique your curiosity, then I'm glad.  

Later we will be able to explore RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome), and other Sleep Phenomena that may be linked to LBD.  

No comments:

Post a Comment