Sunday, July 6, 2014

What To Say.....

Today was a bright and warm day.  Temperatures were in the upper 80's, and the skies were blue.

Traffic was a little thicker than normal this morning - people heading home after the 4th, so I was bit tardy in fetching Mother from her residence, but still in good enough time to have her to church on time - but the variable was with her.

She was doing her crosswords in the Sunday Oregonian when I found her in the dining room.  She seemed glad to see me.  I attempted to motivate her, but she is growing more and more apathetic toward time;  perhaps it's the nature of the beast wherein she is accustomed to not having any real schedule to follow, except meals.  I was the only one, at this time, who was there to visit - typical - the others usually come later in the day, if at all, to visit the other residents.

Mom made the request that I phone Dad (remember he's been gone for 19 years the 13th of this month) to make an eye doctor appointment.  I reminded her she'd had two cataract surgeries earlier and she balked.

"Those were not surgeries - they were done by a dime store hack!  I want a real professional!"

I took a deep breath and sighed.  I asked her what else she needed to speak to Dad about.

"They're personal.  I need to see a doctor about some personal things - even if you have to call that ---  can't remember her name."

"Dr. B___?" I asked.

"Yes, her!"

That's when I noticed her ankles were swollen as were her feet.  "What happened to your ankles?"

"Oh that - it happens from time to time.  That's one reason I need to see the doctor.  I think it's my leg acting up."

One ankle I would attribute to her bad leg, but not both.  It made me begin to think she was showing signs of edema, but I can't be sure.  So, that's one call I need to put in this week.

Then we couldn't find her watch.  We found it in her breast pocket of the shirt she was wearing.

I found an orange in a drawer.  "What's this doing here?  It's going to go bad!"

"No.  Put that back.  I have to hide my oranges because people keep coming in and stealing them!  You bought me a lot last week, and now they're going quickly!  I had to take them all out of the refrigerator and hide them."  This I put to paranoia, as I know she offers them to her friends, staff she likes, and she eats them, as well - it's the remembering she does this that's the problem.

Finally we left - 5 minutes after Mass had already begun.  But, all things happen in time.

She was very quiet on the drive.  She'd looked at the trees (she seems to be amazed at how large the trees are on Cesar Chavez are, as well as in Irvington) and make a few comments.  I tried to engage her in conversation but that was in vain.

We found a fortuitous parking space across the street from church.  We went in and participated.

After we went to Jean's house for some Nachos, coffee and conversation.   She was much more engaged at this point.  She regaled us with the stories of how her grandfather was asked by the Pope to come to Walla Walla, again.  Now that I've explained the real story (sans Pope) everyone just listened.

Then she explained how her brother had fallen and the damage to his leg was what had done him in.  Everyone knew he had Parkinson's, which led to PDD and then it seemed he suffered from some cancer, which took him as toll.

After she was full, and a good conversation with Terry, Jada and Jean, she was offered ice cream.  Now, after complaining about how terribly full she was her eyes danced.  This was her heroin!  Of course she'd have a bowl!  Jean gladly proffered it to her and Mom relished every bite.

As we stood to leave, Mom felt some pain in her pelvic bone.  She said this had been nagging at her for some time (first I heard of it, and she usually tells me everything).  It was then I realized she'd been wobbly on her feet and holding on to me more than usual all morning - she'd said it was nausea, but this was different from the other times she complained about this.

So, we left out gracious hostess and headed out.  She thought a goodly walk around Laurelhurst Park would do her some good, but there wasn't any parking, and the traffic around the park was thick.  So we tossed that idea, even when I did see a spot, but it was in a hilly section and I wasn't sure it would have been wise given her pain.  I would have wanted a flatter surface so there wouldn't have been an up and downhill struggle.

We went to Safeway, as she stated she hadn't had any chocolate for such a very long time.  I reminded her that only last week I had bought her several large bars (you know, the gigantic size).  She told me I had a vivid imagination and I hadn't been thoughtful enough to actually buy them for her.  Hmmmmm.

So, in we went, and I made her walk the perimeter of the store in search of the candy section.  Her movement improved as we went, and I told her if she liked, we could walk through the neighborhood when we returned to St. A's.

I bought her about 25 candy bars.  I put them in her freezer.  She didn't want to walk - just rest and nap.

She reminded me again to phone Dad for her, and I kissed her on the top of her head, told her I loved her, and that I would see about visiting her for an outing later in the week.  She gave a weak smile and told me she loved me, too.

I then left, wondering if this was an off day, or if this was a sign of things to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment