Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Lewy Lean

Well, this isn't the usual day to post - in fact, by all accounts, I'm four days late!  Please forgive.

Today at the Lewy Body Dementia Support Group I learned something that I hadn't given much thought to - The Lewy Lean.

This is when a patient keeps his/her head down or to the side, and it takes a bit for them to lift it.  Mom does this, and there are times I believe she's either asleep, or it's time to break out the mirror to check her breathing.

This is a typical symptom for LBD.  I'm not sure the cause or the reason, but it happens.  When this was brought up as a question, we were informed that yes, this is symptomatic!  There was a general, "Oooooh!" in the room.  Everyone could relate - but it wasn't one of those things you really think much about (at least I didn't).

The shuffling I look for because someone stated it was a symptom, as is the tiredness and stiffness.  This I probably already knew, but hadn't really given it much thought....

Well, that's the post for the mid-week.  Tomorrow promises to have more (like the doctor's visit, Scrabble, Bingo, and much much more).!


No comments:

Post a Comment