Sunday, June 29, 2014

Re-Entry After a Brief Vacation

I'm back.

After 3 years of not truly getting away, I was able to run off (due to friends and their gracious hospitality) and spend time away to clear my head, heart, soul, and psyche.  It was long overdue, but delightful.

During my absence, Mom still was able to get out.  My cousin called and wanted to know if Mom could attend a lunch with her late brother's widow, who was at their beach house in Cannon Beach.  I could think of no reason, and was delighted at the thought.  I suggested that our other cousin pick her up and drive her to the lunch, which would also be attended by her cousin, Alice, who is also diagnosed with LBD, as well as her daughter who was calling.

The day of the lunch her obliging cousin, who picked her up, forgot to check her out.  Now, remember Mom knows the key codes to get out of the memory care facility, so they check on her hourly to ensure she hasn't snuck out.

My phone was on silent mode, and fortunately I saw the two messages in short time.  I called to discover that Mom had disappeared, and my first thought was the lunch.  Unfortunately, I had also failed to alert them of the event.  The director of the unit had reviewed the surveillance tapes and saw her cousin come in and then leave with Mom, so by the time I had called the mystery had been solved.  Whew!

Mom said she had a wonderful lunch with them.  She stated her cousin, Alice, looked weary and tired.  There wasn't a great deal more she would/could share.   But she did say it was a wonderful time and they really enjoyed their visit.

Today I saw Mom for the first time in two weeks.  Her voice was quiet and she seemed meek, but not frail.   I brought a letter from her friend, Nadya, which I had received after returning.

We chatted and then went to Mass.  The conversation wound around from the lunch, to her moving this evening, to some of the people in her cottage.   There wasn't a great deal of focus.

During Mass she was feeling nauseous, and at times she was confused.

It wasn't until we went to Jean's for lunch and she'd had some juice that she began to feel better.   We had lunch, and then Jean's son, Terry, and his daughter arrived.  Mom was suddenly alive and listening and involved.  It was a very good thing to see.

After we left, we went shopping for her mandarin oranges and sodas.  We also needed to get her some chocolate bars as she stated she was craving them.

She also wanted to get a box of cards that would be appropriate for many people - but she couldn't describe them.  She has note cards, a box of greeting cards for all occasions, stationary, etc., so I'm not quite sure what she means.  Hmmmmmm.

When we returned to the facility I took the apples out of the fridge (she doesn't like the effect they have on her) and put them out for anyone who wanted them.  I then unpacked the oranges and the sodas and put them into the fridge.  When I left, Mom was tired, but quite content.  She wanted me to stay but I knew she needed to nap.

What did I notice during my visit today?

She is shuffling off and on as she walks.  She is not slowing, but she isn't very quick, either - her walking has a goal, which eggs her on (this is a positive).

She is drowsy.

She spoke of me in the 3rd person as we drove.  She giggled when I asked her who I was, after a point, and she stopped - obviously it was a realization that I was next to her, but she didn't realize I was who I was.

Her voice is much quieter and her tone more docile.

She is easily confused, wondering if this is that, or whatever.  She is also easily distractible.  

Her sense of smell is nearly non-existent at this time.

She has troubles between dreams and reality (thinking my brother had phoned her that he'd be seeing her this afternoon, when he is actually sailing somewhere in the San Juan's or Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands there).

She still believes my father and grandmother are somewhere around (she wanted us to pick my grandmother up before we went to Jean's, but I told her she was unavailable - that she said something about being out of town.  Mom was confused as to why she would leave town, but accepted it).

Oddly, after a vacation, this is much more easily processed.   I'm hoping to see her again this week, if possible, before the weekend.  Let's keep that hope alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment