Thursday, August 6, 2015

Book Review: A Caregiver's Guide to Lewy Body Dementia by Helen Buell Whitworth and James Whitworth




Not long after Mom was diagnosed and I realized I had absolutely no true information on LBD I began a search.  I was all over the web, and then I realized there was Amazon.  I typed in "Lewy Body Dementia" and suddenly there were books!  I must admit I was excited.  I chose the ones that made sense, and "A Caregiver's Guide to Lewy Body Dementia" did just that.  

I opened my kindle and began to sweep through the pages.  I relished the advice they gave and read through all the anecdotes of people who had shared their journeys with them.   There was also advice that I could follow.  I eagerly ate it all up digesting it and then going back in for more.  It was the most helpful source I had encountered and I was feeling blessed!  

I have had the opportunity to re-read the book more than once.  Each time I learn something more. 

I have also gone back to the book as a resource for some issues.  What I'm discovering, though at this point in our journey, is that not everything I want to have answered is in there.  It is quite comprehensive, though, and as a primer it does suffice.  It gave me more confidence and much more to consider as I work with Mom.  However, striving further and learning more in the process I find it comes a little short.  You must also realize I am not patient when it comes to finding answers....

The book begins by defining LBD and then takes you on the journey of experiences and progressions of the disease.  These are highlighted by stories and advice which bring the disease away from a clinical read.  

They discuss working with coping skills when the patient has issues common with LBD, finding a medical team, medications, legal and financial issues, dealing with end-of-life, and how to take care of yourself in the process.  You see, it's very comprehensive without being a difficult read.  It's all there.

For anyone who has any questions about Lewy Body Dementia, knows someone, cares for someone, or even suffers from the disease, this is invaluable.  You must read this as your door to the disease.  From there, there are other books which support the couple who have gone on to write even more books on the disease, which will be reviewed at a later time.  

Even though I require more information at this time, it is because of the Whitworths' book that I understand what I want to know.  It will, hopefully, be the same engine that propels you into finding out more and learning on your journey. 

A Caregiver's Guide to Lewy Body Dementia.  Whitworth, Helen Buell and James.  Demons Medical.  New York. 2011.

Available at:

Amazon                                        Powell's City of Books          Barnes & Noble

and most book retailers and libraries.  

No comments:

Post a Comment