Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Mom Goes A Travelin'......The Early Years

I was young.  We'd gone camping to marvelous places, as far as I was concerned.  But Mom had a hankering to just go.

I believe it was sometime around my oldest brother's graduation that Mom took both he and my next oldest brother to Victoria, B.C. for a short trip.  I cannot say she'd not been before, but they went.  Dad kept an eye on my older brother and me.

From then we began to include Canada in our trips.  Radium Hot Springs, Banff, Jasper, Calgary, Edmonton, the Headwaters of the Columbia and Vancouver.  Sometimes in hotels, but 95% of the time we camped.


We went up Vancouver Island, north of Victoria to Ivy Green where we went oystering in the waters.  We loved Miracle Beach, near Campbell River where we took out the rubber raft and enjoyed all that

Evenutally,  we had a tent trailer we would tug behind us, and that made life a little more cush.

Later, we were to journey to my oldest brother's wedding in South Dakota, and of course, we camped along the way; it was the only way to really see the areas we were encountering and appreciate them.  Mom would always be sure that we took advantage of the sights.

Lake Itasca, Shishwaup Lake, The Sun Lakes, more Radium Hot Springs, were just some of the varied places she and Dad would take on their adventures.



Although I wouldn't say Mom was close to being soft, she wasn't really the hardiest, either; however, she enjoyed the adventures, for the most part.  And on our budget, this was quite doable, and, perhaps, far more enjoyable than staying at motels or resorts - we saw the country.

Now, sadly, Mom doesn't recall much of this...she does but she doesn't.  There are snippets of recall, but luckily we have slides and, somewhere (I haven't yet uncovered), more photos yet to be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment