Sunday, September 28, 2014

Progressing with LBD - and A Delicates Adventure, for Sure - The Week Ending 9/28/2014

Another week, another post.

This past week was interesting.  Why?  Well, with Mom's progression down LBD Lane, she couldn't recall on Wednesday if she'd played BINGO or not.

She did enjoy the visit from the RLC (Connie & Jean), and having a wonderful time just chatting away with Trivial Pursuits.   She's not saying much about her reading - just that others are reading what she believes are interesting books - but she's packing hers away and not doing anything with them.

Mom's reading all her cards and letters she receives, and she speaks of writing everyone, but that has come to naught - why?  no idea.  She won't consider dictation, either.

Soon after the Retired Ladies Club had exited the scene, Wednesday, Mom regaled me with a call.  This was quite a surprise, as she's not phoned me in many many months!  She wanted to know when I was coming to pick her up.  Needless to say, when we ended the call she was content - a little sad, but not waiting on me to come collect her.

This morning she was speaking with the aide as I walked in.  This time she was in a jolly good mood!  YeeeHaw!  They went inside her room to put on her compression stockings and I timed them.  Next, I prodded Mom to get ready for us to leave.  We had plenty of time then, but to get her to stand up and brush her teeth seemed as slow as following a Toyota in the fast lane.

Just as we were about to leave, Mom commented on how her brassieres had all been stolen.  Of course, I rolled my eyes.  I went to grab her purse in the 'purse drawer', when I found a collection of clothing with a bra!
       "Voila!" I cried.
      She grabbed it from me and sent me out.  Five minutes later I knocked and she bade me enter.  No!  She was just putting on her bra.  Egads!  My Eyes!  My Eyes! I went out quickly.

Finally, she was ready, and she'd changed all her clothing.  I checked it for any sign of dirt.  None.  Yay!  They were going to go through her clothes, again, and take out all her dirty laundry and wash it before we returned - Mom was wearing things and putting them right back on the rack or in the drawers.  Ugh!

We arrived at Mass a little tardy, but not bad.  Mom was shuffling more noticeably this morning.

Later, we arrived at Jean's house for pizza and lemon meringue pie, al fresco on the deck.   Quite a lovely lunch.

  After we were nourished, Jean's son, Terry, came by to visit.  This was a nice surprise (Mom says Terry is Jean's nephew - her brother's son - but that's nice he is so kind and sweet to his "Auntie"!).

He'd noticed that Mom seemed fine in very small groups, but once that group went over 4 or 5, she became quite anxious and tense.  I concurred.   I explained that with dementia this is normal, and this is why the best placements for the patients is in a smaller setting with fewer people.

So, we went hither and thither from Jean's doorstep to Lloyd Center Mall, and walked all the way to Macy's.  Mom needed more brassieres!

There was a sea of them!  I felt like a walrus trying to flop around in a kiddie pool.  Awkward!

We found two she liked and that fit, paid and went all the way down to the home furnishings.

Here we had to buy new sheets, pillowcases, and a new duvet cover, so they could wash hers at St. A's.  Her other set had ripped.    Mom wanted the exact same type as she had now, so despite the expense (truly not cheap!) we bought the set.

By now she was quite exhausted, but determined to get to the car.  We did.

She was now upset we didn't stop for ice cream, but we'd had pie at Jean's, and Mom was beginning to speak incoherently - many non-sequiturs, and jumping back in time with comments pertaining to things from earlier conversations, but nothing tying any of it together.  <sigh>

AS I left her she was a little wobbly, tired, and weary.  She'd had lots of exercise, good food, good conversation and stimulation, and we dealt with her "delicates" issue in a rather reasonable way.

Hurrah!


1 comment:

  1. Great post Garrett Moon! I learned about some new ideas from your article . Tools that will make repurposing content more fun and get more visibility!Thanks.
    Scala training
    SCCM training
    SCOM training

    ReplyDelete