Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Recognition of Mom's Capgras

I mentioned in Sunday's Post that I should probably research Capgras (pronounced: Caw-Graw) Syndrome further.   Back in September 2014 I had done a little investigating on the topic, as I found it fascinating as well as alarming - should it happen with Mama.  Well, little did I realize, it has been happening for a while - though not in its complete form.

You see, according to the literature (see below) what happened Sunday on I-205 when Mom panicked and began looking around for me is an occurrence of Capgras.   That she understood when I stated I was myself this stopped the delusion.  

Other times in the past, she has referred to me in the third-person, telling me things I'd done or was doing with others.  When I would state that I was me she would acquiesce and give a little laugh of embarrassment, but I could never be sure it stuck. 

More often, of late, she has asked, "Where's Tony?" while I've been sitting and conversing with her.  While it could be unsettling to most, I find myself taking it in stride, knowing her mind isn't working quite right.  I do know others who might be insulted, but it isn't an ego-based realization; rather it's working with someone whose brain isn't functioning as once it did.  

Interestingly enough, in my research I was able to come across another phenomenon, Reduplicative Paramnesia.  This is a state in which the patient believes a place or location has been duplicated (see September's article in which Mom was convinced she'd been moved overnight).  

One friend has suggested I keep a name tag on me to help Mom remember who I am.  This won't work.  It's not that Mom looks at me and tells me about what Tony is up to, but she's also recalling her dreams in which Tony is quite active.  That I'm an interested third-party bears no water in the pool.  

This time, as I did my research, I discovered more about anxiety being one of the triggers for Capgras Syndrome.   



Did you also know that this syndrome occurs in Bipolar patients and those suffering from Schizophrenia?

Nor did I until I read it! 

Now, Capgras can also occur (though not as frequently) with Alzheimer's patients.  

Did you also know that women suffer from this 3:2 over men? and those aren't only those with dementia, but with the other conditions, as well.  Hmmmm.  

Well, I hope you learnt something more, today.  I did.  I'll still have to dig deeper.   Perhaps more brain study would help understand the how and why more - that's what I'd like to comprehend better. 



References:  



Perception, emotion and delusions: Revisiting the Capgras Delusion.  Elisabeth Pacherie  (very clinical and technical - incredibly dry, but full of interesting facts)




No comments:

Post a Comment