Thursday, September 3, 2015

What Is Hospice Care?

From the time I first heard the term, “Hospice”, I began to associate it with cancer.  I also associated it with a setting - a home-like place - where people went to die.  Seriously.  I would see signs that would announce they were a hospice site, and I would hear people sadly discuss someone having to go into hospice.  It became something of a death sentence, in my way of thinking, and I’d never had reason to question it.  

So, last week during the discussion of Mom’s care, when they broached the subject of hospice, I felt my hackles coming up, not understanding what they really meant.  I say this because I was told Mom would stay where she was until the bitter end, unless we decided we needed to move her.  I was also a too psychically confused.  

So, the question was raised, “What exactly is hospice, and what does it mean for Mom?”
The response relaxed my hackles, and put me at ease.  Mom wouldn’t have to move.  Mom would receive more services, tailored to her needs and wants.  We would also be given some services in dealing with the ultimate outcome of her plight, as well.  

So, I did a little digging, and this is what I learned:
According to  Moment’s of life’s What is Hospice?, “Hospice is a specialized type of care for those facing a life-limiting illness, their families and their caregivers.  Hospice care addresses the patient’s physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs…”

According to The Hospice Foundation’s  What is Hospice? (NB - this link is different from the one above) “Hospice offers medical care toward a different goal:  maintaining or improving quality of life for someone whose illness, disease or condition is unlikely to be cured.  

There are actually more questions answered at Hospice.net, which could assuage fears and trepidations related to hospice.  

To be honest, what it all means is more help, more time spent with the patient, and knowledge that their time is being made better in what could very well be their last days.  

The services provided by any hospice service may vary, and you should truly ask your doctor/provider about what is out there, in case you may require it for yourself or someone else (and don’t get all Twilight Zoney on that one).  

According to all the literature I’ve viewed/read, this is a conversation you could have at any time.  In fact, it’s probably best to have a good idea of what to expect, just in case.  

Also, you can’t just call the doctor and say, “Hey Doc!  Wassup?!  I think it’s time for hospice, how soon can you get the ball rolling?”  
No.  It doesn’t work that way.  
Depending on the situation, they healthcare provider will need to base this decision upon certain criteria, which may actually differ from provider to provider, but ultimately they’re pretty much the same, from my understanding.  You don’t have to have cancer, you just need to be in a space in which the doctor believes it’s appropriate.  And, should you recover, all the better - but the majority do not.  

Now, you’re asking, why did I bring this up?

Because we’re talking hospice for Mom.  

Stay tuned Sunday for the results of that conversation!  


Sources:










Hospicenet

No comments:

Post a Comment