Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mom Gets A Day Out....

Mom at Council Crest Park 3/27/14

Today was going to be a lunch date.  A lunch date with Mom, her cousin, Alice, and Alice's daughter, Kathy.  Alice was diagnosed with LBD in October/November of 2013.  She lived in Astoria, and had moved in to a residential facility near her old home.  However, some things arose, and her children quickly had to move to determine what was to be done.  

Well, Alice now lives nearby my home, in Beaverton, in a memory care facility, about 90 miles from her old home in Astoria.   Her daughter, Kathy (Kip) lives at the coast, as well, but drives up frequently to check on her mum.    We've done lunch before, and it went well......yes, well.  Alice was pretty much aware of her condition, while Mum was (and still is) in denial, so it made interesting conversation....

I called Kip to make sure I had the time right, and left a message.  I raced across Portland - about 25 miles from my residence, via sideroads and freeways, and did pretty well at 25 minutes.    Okay, so I sped a little...  I found her in her room, feeling quite brightly.  I told her we were going to lunch with Alice, and she was delighted.

However, as is typical, she wanted time to gather her thoughts and chat - chat about what she believes needs to occur.  Today it was about whether my brothers had integrity.  "If you brothers had a drop of integrity, they would get in touch with the Elder Abuse people and get me out of here, as soon as possible!" she stated.   I reminded her that it was in the hands of the state and the doctors at this point.  Well, she wasn't buying it, but instead moved on...

"WE need to begin packing these things up and putting as much in your car and in mine, as well.  I need to get back home to Port Angeles, so I can pay my bills and get back to living my life."  Months ago, this would have slammed my heart, but given hearing this so often, and having made the attempts to explain, I was able to let it slide, and I said, "So, is that what you're going to wear?" 

This led to her getting ready.  The last thing we needed to do before we departed was to find her glasses and case.  Well, we found the glasses case -but it was full of silverware from the dining room, but no glasses.   I asked her about this.  "Well, I need a place to put it, don't I?"  A short conversation ensued about using the drawers or cupboards in her "kitchenette", but that wasn't going anywhere.... Hmmmmmm.  I found her glasses behind her recliner, and popped them into the case and then her purse.  

We were on our way, enjoying the sun peeking through the black and grey clouds, when my phone rang.  It was Kip.  Apparently, she had tried to contact me, earlier, but something happened and I was unawares...no problem...but she wasn't going to be able to do the 90 mile drive today.  So, we arranged to meet Sunday for Mass and then for lunch.  Done.

So, where to go?  Mom wanted to go somewhere with trees - no parking lots, buildings, etc.  Well, originally we were to go to Salvador Molly's in Hillsdale, but that wouldn't do.  So we drove through Hillsdale when I had an idea.  WE turned on Dosch and headed up to the top of the hill.  Mom was enjoying the ride, immensely.  We chatted about the blooms, trees, houses, and when we had lived in the area.  WE finally hit Patton, and turned.  WE went down past Strohoeker's, and toward Ainsworth Elementary.  There on the corner was Vista Springs Cafe.  My target.  Closed.  Yet - in 30 minutes it would be open!  Voila!

So we drove to Council Crest Park at the top of the hill.  I hadn't been there in a couple of decades, and Mom said she couldn't remember the last time (there is no pun there).  So we parked and walked about.  Glorious views and weather.  There's even a dogpark there!  Wow!  



The walk, the fresh air, the sun, and the conversation were finding Mother refreshed.  She doesn't get out as much as she wants, and she doesn't have the stamina she did a few years ago, but just a short jaunt is enough to invigorate her!



We went back to the cafe, where we had lunch - she ordered a personal BBQ chicken pizza with a glass of riesling, and I a chicken ceasar salad.  She was content.  It was a nice calm and positive atmosphere.  Until we were finshed and they brought her boxed pizza (what she couldn't eat) to our table.  She opened the tabs of the box and popped in the knife from her side of the table.  I asked her why? She said it was none of my business.  Hmmmmm.  I did get it out of there and back on the table where she couldn't get to it.  

Make a note:  Mom is hoarding silverware....????

I got her back to St. Anthony's, and she was ready for a nap.  She told me she needed more coke, as she had gone through her case, already (I bought it about 2 weeks ago) and she needed more wine (Yes, they allow her to have wine in her room, I think...at least they give it to her with dinner if she requests it).  She also was a little angry that I didn't sharpen her eyebrow pencil...

As i left, I checked with Mike, the LPN who runs her cottage and the adjoining one.  WE're getting her a sharpener.  

Mom did finish Physical Therapy last week, so Mo, the P/T and Activities Coordinator  received badminton racquets with birdies, balloons, and a stability ball for Mom.  This way Mom has various ways to keep active.  

Also, Mom has been going to Bible Study in another part of the campus, and also goes to a singing group, at least once a week.  She says it's nice for a time...(this means she likes it, but won't admit it).  

Last night, Mom won at BINGO!  she was with Mo, and she won chocolate covered graham crackers.  When she told me she looked so happy!  

Today was full of laughs and smiles.  Something we don't always have.  Something we need to remember. 


No comments:

Post a Comment