Sunday, April 27, 2014

the Week Ending April 27, 2014

This was a week of ups and downs.  In fact, the weather has been that way for most of the week, as well!

Mom had her hair permed & cut, she had a mani-pedi, and Barbara, her Beautician, put nail strengthener on her nails - apparently this needs to be done once a week.  Mom has thin nails, and I'm not sure what this means, but she does (no, she doesn't have heart problems).

She had a pleasant visit with her friends, Connie and Jean while she was being permed and primped, while outside the rain raged on to provide us with fragrant flowers and springtime.

Mom received some cards and more letters, which always excite her - she loves sharing the photos and the missives with family and friends.

Mom with Barbara Day in the Salon at St. A's.


Her friend, Nadya, was admitted to Swedish Hospital in Seattle this week for a surgery.  Mom was quite worried about this.  Luckily, her other friend, Phyllis, let us know that Nadya was coming back to Port Angeles, so this is good news both for Nadya and Mom!  It will also allow Mom to relax a bit more.  She received a card from Nadya and grew misty-eyed after reading it - "She's the closest friend I've ever had, you know.  I'd hate it if something happened to her!"

I discovered that later in the week, one of the residents in Mom's cottage had passed.  The cottage was her hospice care, and she could hold out no longer.  Mom used to help the resident in dressing, and just figuring out where she was.    The staff had tried to clear everyone out of the main area because her room was off the great room.  Everyone moved to the television area on the other side of the cottage - everyone but Mom.

Mom refused to leave.  In fact I was told she engaged them in a power struggle.  Finally, they relented.  She was quite upset by what she saw - in that someone had died.  It aroused in her more determination to leave and move out before she was next!  Luckily I was able to engage her in other titbits of conversation and she forgot - except now my brother, Lawrence, and my uncle, Larry, are both dead again (Lawrence is still alive).   This was the stormy weather section of the day.

Today, we went to Mass at the Madeleine and after we went to Jean's house for lunch.  I made soup (canned) and toasted cheese on sourdough - although Jean didn't join us - she ate breakie late.   Her daughter, Jenny, and Jenny's husband, Aldo, were there, as well, so we were able to have some very good conversation.  Then Jenny and Aldo left, and we discussed books with Jean.  Then we left.    At this time, the weather was bright and clear!

I gave her her medications, which I'm beginning to understand a bit more now (see this coming Wednesday's blog on Medications).

We had also driven around the Irvington neighborhood looking at the gardens and homes.  I saw one garden that I felt was a piece of art.  Mom said, "It looks like an overdressed woman!  Too much for too little effect!  Cheap!"  I saw rays of sunshine creeping in to her soul.


We went to Fred Meyer's and bought Mom toothpaste, cuties (bagged little oranges she devours like candy), and a couple of Hershey Almond bars.  Mom was in heaven!

We returned after looking at so many gardens, flowers and trees in the area.    She wanted to continue driving (anything but return to St. A's, I guess).  And then she saw we were going back. She looked at me and said, "You know, I guess this is kind of home to me right now.  I don't like to think of it that way, but it is.  I just hope I don't die here."  A bittersweet statement to end the day.

As we walked up to the entry of the cottages, Mom noted the bright colors and contrasts on the Rhododendrons.  So, below is a picture of her with one of the bushes.  This gladdened her greatly.
Have a great week!  Until Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment