Monday, April 21, 2014

The Week Ending Easter - April 20, 2014

Well, Mom has had a busy day!  Her mind has been working overtime which is good, and then again....

When I arrived in the morning to take her to Mass, she was doing her crosswords and happy to see me.  She made sure I sat down before she began her list of demands (not something I was prepared for)...


1.  She wanted me to phone my cousin as he knew how to move her furniture back to her house in Port Angeles.

2.  For me to call to have her pedicure asap!

3.  For me to give her my phone to call her friend, Phyllis, who had phoned the previous day but had left a cryptic message about her friend, Nadya.  She was very worried about Nadya.  I later spoke to Phyllis and discovered they'd had a brief conversation the day before.  Later Mom decided she didn't need to phone her again, which I'm sure was a disappointment to Phyllis.

She was quite displeased when I informed her that I had accidentally forgotten my phone at home (very true!).  She then instructed me to return home, fetch it, and bring it right back.  She was quite non-plused when I stated that would take approximately 1.5 hours (also true).

So, she went in to change for Easter Mass.



From there, things went fine.  I informed her that we were simply going to Mass, and then after she'd return to St. A's for lunch, and Lawrence would pick her up for dinner after she'd had a chance to rest.

This was difficult, as we had a routine and this threw her way off course.

She'd had a good week, though.  A rousing game of Scrabble, at least one Bible Study group with the folks in Residential Care - as she is not prone to dashing off, they allow her out to stimulate her mind (a very good thing - also the ability to interface with others in a social situation is also very good for her condition).

She didn't complain about her arch nemesis, a woman we shall call "Naomi".  Mom does not like Naomi.  Mom has nothing but deep dark thoughts about Naomi.  Usually, Mom goes on and on about how disgusting Naomi is.  Today, she had no idea who Naomi is.  I found this somewhat odd - but this is the affliction.

We had to park a few blocks away from The Madeleine, where we go on Sundays.  The church was packed, and Jean's granddaughter and son informed us there was room upstairs in the choir loft - so up we went!

Stairs tend to be a nervous thing for me with Mom.  In my youth I dubbed her Captain Klutz, as she was rather accident prone - so on the stairs, some of which are marble, I walked behind her in case something happened - and on the way down I walk ahead - better my still pliant skull take a smack than hers!  Luckily nothing happend.

We shopped for a birthday card for her brother - something that should have been sent weeks ago.  He had texted me to ask how she was as she had never ever missed his birthday.  Mom thought sending him the card would be a good idea.

I dropped her off, and she was out of sorts from the routine change.

When I next saw her for dinner she was in a great and festive mood.  My brother had taken her to Mt. Cavalry where Dad, her parents and grandparents are buried.   Yet, she still spoke of Dad in the present, which was a bit of struggle for her - but she did well.

She was in a great mood after dinner.  She told me how wonderful Kathleen and Larry were, and how lucky they were to find each other.   No more mentions of the furniture, just that she needed to get back to get to bed.

She seems to enjoy where she is - to a point.  She still talks about buying a new car (God forbid!), moving back to Port Angeles, and how wonderful the people up there are - as they continue to send flowers, cards, letters with photos to her on a regular basis.  She is gone from them, but hardly forgotten.  This means the world to her.  She breaks down at times when thinking about it.

About her having a phone....
    Some of Mom's friends from afar think she should have a phone.  I have considered this - even looked at some phones that are pay-as-you-go.  However, from past experience with Mom on my plan, I know how much she's able to run through in talk time, and this would prove a problem - especially with the frequent calls coming my way, as well as my brothers'.    So, once again I was advised against it - for my sanity and that of all close and dear.

So, there we have it.  I'm sure there will be more next week when I update her status.

Be sure to check in on the Lewy Body Syndrome/Dementia updates, as I learn more about the affliction, as you might find it interesting, informative, and useful (hopefully not in the near future).

Also, please visit the Lewy Body Dementia Support Page on Google+, and support it!

No comments:

Post a Comment