Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Week Ending Palm Sunday 2014

What a lovely week!  The weather has been wonderful, there is lightness in the air.

Last Sunday, my brother had Mom, my nephew (who was in town to play in the alumni basketball tournament), and me over for dinner.

It was very nice.  Mom was calm, as were the rest of the party.  Very convivial.

He showed Mom his backyard and the new pool, and the plans for the new landscaping - all due to the widening of the road behind his house (they took a chunk of his yard, which included a portion of his old pool).

Mother was quite content when we left, and when I dropped her off she was tired but happy.

Thursday evening I received an email from her friend, Jean, which asked if Larry's pool was really one thousand feet long?  I had to laugh - it's no where near that length, of course.   Mom hadn't remembered seeing me that past weekend, either, which is par for the course, but she was prompted and then recalled the events somewhat as they occurred.

Mom is still playing Bingo with Mo, the activities coordinator at the residence.  When I asked if she'd won this time, she remarked, "Of course!  I always win something!"  We had a good chuckle.

Friday I took her to see a movie.  She was excited about the prospect on Sunday when I mentioned it, but when I arrived her mind was set on a pair of new sneakers (the one's in the flyer for Fred Meyer - on sale, of course).  I sighed and then agreed to take her after the cinema.

We arrived at Eastport 16 and bought our tickets.  She saw there was ice cream!  Yes.  She had a double-scoop waffle cone (cookies and cream and strawberry).   We went to the theatre and watched NOAH.  She didn't sigh any disapproval, but kept exclaiming, "This is not a movie for children!"  there were no children about in the theatre, but I understood what she meant.

Afterward, we chatted as we headed for the car.  She was thoughtful, and asked why it was so violent and dark.  I smiled and stated that the demise of mankind on the planet was not exactly a cheery thought - though it would be a challenge to make into a family musical.  She smirked.

We went to Fred Meyer's, and they were having a sale on all types of sneakers - running shoes, walking shoes, FILA, Reebok, Nike, Sketchers, Naturaliser, etc.  I found the pair she had pointed out in the flyer, and she poo-poohed them - too flashy.

I found a pair that matched her shirt.  "But what if I wanted to wear something else?!"

I found white ones.  "They get dirty too easily, and I won't go around with filthy shoes."

Finally, we found a pair of Memory Foam Sketchers - grey, and fabric.  She liked them.  We found her size - 9, and the associate helped us out with a shoe horn.  She put them both on and took a stroll.  She liked them!  Then the associate brought another pair which made my eyes bug (I hate shopping, and wanted to get going asap), but Mom's eyes shone with delight.

She tried on one of the others, and stood up.  She took a couple of steps, and to my relief she decided they weren't as comfortable as the one on her right foot (the Memory Foam).  Hurrah!

I took her back home after buying a Thank You card for her book group in Port Angeles - they have been so good in sending letters, as have all her friends there.  Sometimes Mom gets a little sappy and teary eyed when she tells me about them.  But she also loves showing them off to us!

I dropped Mom off with the promise of seeing her Sunday morning.  "You mean tomorrow?"
"No, day-after-tomorrow, Sunday."
"But today's Wednesday."
"No, it's Friday."

She had received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from her old friend, Helga, in Port Angeles, and this touched her greatly.  "I don't know why they're all being so good to me!"

So, when I appeared this morning (Sunday), around 920 to pick her up for Mass, she was still at the breakfast table about to take her medications.
"Oh, so you're still alive!"
"I just saw you two days ago."
"No, it's been much longer than that."
"Remember?  We went to hte movies and I bought you those shoes, the card, and a salt shaker."
"Oh.  That's right.  Was that then?  I thought that was a long, long, time ago."

Of course, she had to show me the bouquet Helga had sent.  She thought she should give it to one of her friends, here, who had been so kind to her.  I told her, "No.  They're for you, and you alone - enjoy them!"

So, off we went.  After Palm Sunday Mass, we headed over to Jean's house to pick her up.  She was going to take us out to lunch as we generally treat her  (we do feel as though we infringe on her Sundays..).

We had a very nice lunch, and Mom and Jean talked about people they knew, who had died (Mom doesn't like that topic), and the latest news of family (mostly Jean's side - Mom doesn't really have much to tell, as she forgets).

From there, we dropped Jean off, and Mom and I went to Sellwood Park, overlooking the Willamette River and Oaks Amusement Park.

It was quite nice.  Warm, breezy, and fragrant from all the blossoms around us.  Lilacs were definitely in the air!

Mom has picked up her stride with the weather, the massages, and the P/T.    Even her endurance seems to be greater.  We walked the majority of the distance of the park before she settled on a bench.  She watched the dogs play, the kids play, and the birds.  She marveled at the blooms.  "How is your garden? Do you have a garden?  I've never seen your house, you know.  It's as though you're embarrassed to have me see it!"

"My garden isn't blooming like this, but some plants are getting ready."

"Well, that's because you're at a much higher elevation.  Your plants always look good!"

This was not from any prompting - even though she denies ever staying at my house (she stayed at least 2 times a year over the past 15 years), she remembered something about it.  That's good!

I took her back, as we drove through West and East Moreland, looking at the homes.

She was ready to rest when I left - but made sure I talked to the staff about her getting her wine with dinner.
"You also have a bottle in your fridge, you know."
"Yes, but why should I use that when they have several bottles they never let me drink from?!"  Good thought!
mugging for the camera at Sellwood Park
So, the Grande Dame is ensconced in her dwelling, looking out the window of her room onto the budding garden, listening to her stereo, and reading "The Plantagenets" and another book by one of her favorite authors, Bernard Lewis.

Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment