Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Week Of Contrasts In Review - 08/17/2014

What a week this was!  Mom had a pretty busy one that had activity and more!

This week the photos are of Mom on vacation from 1995 - 2007; from Prince Edward Island with her cousin, Marion, to Europe (Switzerland and Italy) with her BFF Nadya.

Monday, Mom had a pretty tame day.  Her life went on as expected.

Tuesday, she had BINGO, but she didn't win.  This did not make her very happy.  Her caregiver, Mo, told me it was quite unusual.  Mom just told me that no one won, and it was the first time ever that such a thing had occured!
Mom and her cousin Marion on Prince Edward Island ca -09/1995- being silly in very un-aquarian type fashion!

Wednesday, we went to the movies.  We saw The Hundred-Foot Journey over at the Eastgate Cinemas.  Mom was telling me how stuffed she was as we came into the theatre, and oddly she didn't want any ice cream.  I got a free small popcorn, so I upped it for a few cents, and got a soda (which she claimed didn't interest her at all).  We found our theatre and went in.

Mom loved the movie and I enjoyed it.  She remembered it through Friday (although today she hadn't a clue what I was talking about)!  Of course, she drank the majority of the soda, and was in high gear for some ice cream then!
Mom enjoying a gelato in Switzerland, ca 7/2007.  

After the flick we headed over to the store where we found her chocolate bars, soda, and some ice cream (Ben and Jerry's - some kind of very chocolately thing).  We headed back.

When we returned she was very spry in her thinking - some jumbles, but pretty clear-headed.  She told the cottage manager about the movie, and how great it was.  Then we went to her room where we chatted a bit and she began to feast on her ice cream while I put away the chocolate and sodas.

When I left she was quite content and not at all weary.
Mom enjoying the San Diego Shores ca 1996

Thursday, she had her massage, followed closely by the RLC Scrabble game.  My sources tell me that Mom just loves using her turn to put down as many tiles in as many ways as she can - the rules be dammed!   Luckily, the two gentle lasses are able to work around all this, as they enjoyed the weather in the gazebo outside.  They had a most lovely visit for approximately 3 hours.  Then Mom had to have dinner, but she was hoping either Connie or Jean would take her somewhere - she wasn't all that sure where...

Yes, Mom is now back to talking about moving out.  She's not sure where she's going to go, but for years she always had the "Grass is Greener..." mentality - so I'm treating it as thus.
Mom plays in Borghese Park in Rome - 2007\

Sometime during the week, though, Mom was a bit disgruntled with the amount of wine in her glass - she thought it too small; so she demanded more.  They poured the glass to be the size of two cups.  For some reason, though (I'm not clear why, but none of this surprised me), she became very agitated and slapped that cup across the table and left the dining room for hers.  My my my!  Apparently, she's stopped being the sweetie to everyone and has become more of a little dickens of late.  Must figure out  why...usually has something to do with caregivers and change (vacations, etc).

Today, Mom was a bit cranky.  I tried hard to find things to chat about that she would enjoy, but she pulled reasons to criticize out of the air - the disconcerting part was that very few of her comments synced with what I was saying.  I tried to go with where she was, but we went for huge leaps through the universe.
Mom with cousin Marion near Mt. Carmel on PEI, 1995 (ca)

She was a bit confused during church, and then after at Jean's, she displayed some of the same characteristics - tons of non-sequiturs and bouncing between people being alive and dead.  But, we're pretty spry with our thinking by this time, so we are able to flow....

The day was quite warm so we went for a little drive to the eastern part of Portland, and drove for a bit.  When I turned the car to take her home, she knew!  I don't know how, but she did.

When I returned her, I reminded her of the optometrist appointment on Tuesday, and this made her glad.  She was a bit tired and dopey.

Interestingly enough, she told me of a couple of dreams she'd had, and then told me of events that were obviously dreams.  I explained that the melatonin can provide quite vivid dreams, but she snapped that I hadn't a clue what I was talking about!  So.....

Anyway, That's the wrap up for the week!   

No comments:

Post a Comment