Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Music and Memories of Mom

Several years ago, Mom gave me a book for Christmas, entitled, Musicophilia.  It told stories about the impact music has on the brain, how it helps people recover from brain trauma, and how the music functions on the different regions of the brain.

Lately, there was a documentary released, which is playing at a small theatre in town, entitled, Alive Inside, which documents working with patients who have memory loss and their ability to restore some of it with the use of music.

Wow!

So, before I begin to showcase this organization that uses music as therapy (and it's absolutely fascinating what I've been learning!), I want to ponder on my memories of music with Mom...


I remember Mom rocking me at night as a young boy, singing "Rock-A-Bye Baby" and a few other melodies.  Another, "Mammy's Little Baby" she would sing from time to time in the kitchen.
Believe me - not us...just an image to give you an idea....kind of ...

I also remember Mom dancing in the aisles of Fred Meyers in Raleigh Hills, and other  stores to the music that was playing over the speakers - not something traumatic (unless you're in your tweens or teens), but nonetheless embarrassing!

In trying to figure out what music would be that of Mom's memories, the first song I thought of was 'Humoresque" by Dvorak.  Mom used to beg me to play it on the piano, because her grandmother used to play it.  This was when I discovered Mom used to play the violin (an instrument she detested playing, and refused to practise).
We always had music, though.  My brother Chris and I had piano lessons, though he went on to play trombone.  I went on to play piano, clarinet, and saxophone.  

We went to the symphonies - Junior Symphony to hear Chris play, and other musical programs Mom and Dad subscribed to.  We went to the Walla Walla Symphony.  They attended the Port Angeles Symphony.  When there was a music program, they were there, for the most part.  It was an integral part of their lives and entertainment.


Other tunes Mom and Dad would listen to at night as they read were:  "The Red Mill" soundtrack (Victor Herbert), anything with Mario Lanza, "South Pacific" the original Broadway cast, and classical favorites on some album they'd play.  These we'd hear nearly every night on SW Lee Street.  When we moved to Enterprise, we didn't hear these as much.



I did catch Mom, on occasion, when I'd come home from school in Portland, dusting the piano and hitting some of the keys while trying to sing - nothing intelligible, believe me.  The first time I burst out laughing and she was so startled she screamed - then she chased me to pummel me for scaring her...
Ah, good times!

Mom also loved Nelson Eddy.  She actually talked about how handsome he was; when I saw his picture, I began wondering about her eyesight - but he did have a good voice.
Nelson Eddy

I recall going to the LIttle Family Theatre in Portland, back in the '60's to see Jeannette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy in "Naughty Marietta", and "The Student Prince" with Ann Blyth.  We also went to see others but those two stuck in my mind...
Jeanette MacDonald
Naughty Marietta Movie Poster
Mario Lanza

Later, Mom heard my "Evita" album and threw it out because of the language - a few years later she went to see it on the West End and loved it.  Of course she denied her tossing my album, but I was intrigued she found the performance to her liking.  Later, Mom delighted in "Mamma Mia" and even "The Lion King" (which I took her to) all on the West End.    We both fell asleep (jet lag) for "Phantom of the Opera" though..but she loves the music.



As a matter of fact, Mom loved the soundtrack to the movies of both Evita and Phantom!  She'd be reading while listening, or even cleaning, and you could see her body engaged in the music.  Sometimes she'd look off in the distance while listening...

Mom loved music.  I say this in the past tense because she has a stereo but rarely plays it unless someone else puts the music on.

It's sad, really, that she rarely listens anymore.  So, I'm considering delving deeper into the Music and Memory studies and figuring out if it's worth a go...

Stay Tuned

No comments:

Post a Comment