Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Week Ending 08/03/2014

Not a particularly frantic week for Mom, this week.

She played BINGO, and won.

She had her Physical Therapy.

She had her massage.

She had a Mani-Pedi!  And, she also had the promise of a perm this next Wednesday!   She was very happy with her new nail color (My mother NEVER did this before - she eschewed such pampering as frivolous and a waste of money - now she enjoys it at least once a month...mostly because it helps her keep her toenails in check) - a deep blood red.  When Jean asked her what color it was Mom was at a loss.  I dubbed it DNA.  WE chuckled.

On Wednesday, the RLC came to play Scrabble.  Of course, I received a call asking about my Uncle Peter, as Mom stated that she had spoken to him and he was on his way over from his house.  I told the ladies to simply play Scrabble, and if he showed, then they could invite him to play, or to allow them to visit; so they played.  My uncle lives in Reno, and Mom has thought him to have phoned several times, before, but when I called him, no such activity had occurred, so I felt rather confident.

Monday, though, Mom had reported falling down at my brother's house during her dinner visit.  I received the call, and thought about the previous day - and no, there was no evidence she had slipped, tripped, stumbled or fallen during her visit.  Had she, I know my sister-in-law would have not only said something, but would have been quite vigilant about ensuring Mom's safety while traveling from the deck into the house and any other ventures she might have undertaken - non of this happened.

Of course, the staff stated Mom had shown her where, on her body, she had hit, and there were no bruises, or anything that would present a fall.  But it was reported.  I did receive a call, as well, from their administrator about this and we had a chat.

Mom is hallucinating or, rather, imagining events that occur in her dreams or early waking states.  While they are interesting, to those who are not completely aware of what's actually taking place in her life they are a little unsettling, or confusing.

Well, this week  has been hot! Hot! Hot!  And, I've been without a car due to an accident the previous week - and while my car was in the shop I had to hoof it a few days.  Finally, I was granted a loaner, which allowed me to visit and take her to Mass and Jean's this morning.

When I arrived at St. A's, Mom wanted to go to Mass in her sweater-vest, and a long-sleeved warm shirt, companioned with a pair of thin sweats.  I told her these wouldn't do, and we needed to have a look-see at some of the clothes my brother and his wife from Port Orchard had selected for her from the stores.  She balked.  Then she called me a real bully, as I told her we wouldn't leave until I was satisfied with what she was wearing, and she had proven to me she had at least tried something on from the new collection.

When I came in, she had put on a new pair of pants, and a sleeveless shirt with a lace back.  She looked cool and comfortable.  She stated she felt indecent - I told her she wasn't yet at stripper status.  She found no humor in that.

We went to Mass and then to Jean's for lunch.  Jean served us wraps she'd ordered from Freddy's - they were good!

After we'd eaten, we went for a walk around the block.  We saw 'Schatzie's' house (Paul Schatz), and the Neidermeyer's, and some of the other familiar names Mom and Jean had grown up with in Irvington.  We also passed the Hodges/Marion home where Mom had lived as a girl, only a block away.  She found much of the neighborhood changed from the time she was a girl.

When we came back her back was hurting and she was hot and tired. So, we measured her for her compression stockings, then decided I'd run to the pharmacy on my own to get them later in the day, so Mom wouldn't need to sit in the blazing sun or hurt more from walking around.  When asked if she really did want to go, Mom just said, "No.  You do it, but get those to me as soon as possible!"

When I dropped her off, she was tired.  The reports were that the Melatonin was working and she was sleeping very well this past week.  However, this morning she'd risen earlier than normal, and reported that she didn't sleep very well, at all.  So, she was going off to slumberland when I left, after reminding her to elevate her feet in her recliner.  She had a soft, faint smile as I left, of one ready to nod off.

Hopefully I can get those stockings to her by tomorrow, and make her appointment with the eye doctor for the next week or so.  And, there are some movies that are coming out she would actually appreciate.  These are things to which she can look forward, as long as she knows about them in the near future...like a day ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment