Sunday, November 30, 2014

Re-Surge! And the Week Ending 11/30/2014

Earlier this week, the Ladies came to visit with Mom.  They had a most wonderful time.  Then, Friday, my brother popped by to visit with her.  

Even if she didn't recall these visits, they do mean a great deal to her.  Even if she did miss Thanksgiving - by the next day she wouldn't have recalled, which is sad.  

Why did she miss Turkey Day?  Well, I decided to head out of town to have dinner with my brother in Port Orchard.  Now, this presents a bit of quandary, as when Mom goes out with my brother who lives here, she becomes quite anxious until I arrive (Sunday dinners).  In fact, Mom begins talking about going back home rather than sitting back and enjoying herself.   So, with me out of the picture for a day, Mom had a quiet time at St. A's.  To be honest, it worked out well for all.  And, to be honest, she hadn't a clue, even though it was brought up.  Unfortunate as it is, this is where she is at this time..



This morning found Mother finished with breakfast and ready to get going to Mass.  She was reading her, "The Plantagenets" book, which I found wonderful - it has been such a long time since I've seen her read, other than glance through magazines and the paper (she does the crosswords fairly well).  

She was in a very congenial mood.  We were able to leave in a reasonable amount of time. 



ON the way there, we found ourselves laughing at silly things, and this let me believe she was doing quite well.  We arrived at the church, only 30 minutes late, and needed to walk nearly 3 blocks, but she did well, shuffling but moving more rapidly than I'd seen in a while, as well.

During Mass she seemed to follow much better and there weren't any 'sleeping' episodes, either.

The only real catch was her demanding to have her furniture moved to the house on 19th Street, where she grew up.  I had to explain the new owners would probably make an objection.  She laughed.

Something must be working!
After, I took her back to St. A's and she readied herself for lunch.

My brother came and fetched her for dinner around 3-330.


When I arrived at his house they were enjoying a nice glass of wine and being wonderfully convivial.  She was engaged, despite those notions she has that certain friends have died (they haven't) and other people are very much alive.

We watched the football games and she commented as she watched - and she really did watch; yet, what transpired in her mind was probably very different than from the rest of us.

We had a wonderful meal and she was able to follow that with a big bowl of chocolate ice cream.  She was now in heaven!

We chatted as I drove her home about this and that.  When we did arrive she stated that she was quite tired and ready for bed.

So, after giving her her medications, and attempting to put drops in her eyes (she's not a good patient in this respect), I put away the oranges I'd bought her and the case of Pepsi.

She dressed for bed as she tossed the throw pillows off the bed with a sense of glee.

I kissed her goodnight, and she asked if I'd like to spend the night.  I had to tell her no.  She then asked if she'd see me in the morning.  I told her I would see her soon.  She smiled and said, "Goodnight."

Looking back on the day, it was pretty good.  She had no recollection of our going to church, nor that she and I had spent time in the morning.  But her demeanor and affect were very healthy.

Sometimes you just gotta take what you can get and even that can feel magical.


1 comment:


  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete