Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Week Ending 11/9/2014

A very odd day.

Perhaps it was the full moon this week, which is currently waning; or perhaps it's our good friend, Lewy.  You pick.

This week went by uneventfully.

Mom stated she had no Bingo, she had no physical therapy, and she really needed to go over to Betty L's house for a book group.

Now, Betty lives in the Port Angeles area, but Mom says, "No, she moved to Portland a long time ago.  She hasn't lived in Port Angeles for quite some time now."

Nevertheless, we didn't attempt the drive to locate it.  I suppose Mom could have navigated, and if there was more time it might be quite the adventure; but there wasn't enough time, and Mom was in a vacillating mood.

So, upon arriving at St A's this morning, Mom was dressed and her purse by her side ready to go to Mass.  Yes.  This was a first.  She had arisen (on her own, mind you) at 7:30 am, and began her day.

She pulled out a pair of pants and told me they were mine.  Of course they were!  I love elastic waisted pants.  I stated they were women's pants but she'd have none of that - "No.  This is the style, now.  You know that.  Try them on."  After a bit, she gave up trying.  So, we put them to the side.

"You didn't bring me oranges.  I needed oranges."  Yes.  This had slipped my mind.  But, we would have time later to fetch some at the store.  "People are always coming in and eating my oranges and drinking my sodas and eating all my other food.  I can't trust anyone around this place.  And the women here are just nuts!  I believe I'm the only sane one around here!"   'Nuff said.

Her stockings hadn't been put on and there was a pair on her dresser, ready to use.  She told me they needed washing.  I finally convinced her they were the ones to be worn.  I offered, but she reminded me that it was the job of the nice young lady.  We found the med-aid and asked her to put them on.
She did.

As we were about to leave, she asked if her Nana was coming with us.  I told her, "No, she's not around right now."

"What about Mother?"
"She's not around, either."
"Well, where is she?"
"I'm not sure.  She's visiting relatives somewhere - I can't recall exactly where, though."
She harumphed at me and gave me a glare that meant she didn't believe me.

We then left before 10!  We had 10 minutes to make it to Mass!  A rarity!

As we drove, she said she wanted her hair done soon.  She was told an appointment would be made.  She remarked that her father was really good about making them for her, as was Dad.  She then offered my brother, Chris, as another candidate to make the appointment.  I mentioned it would be easier for me to take on the task, as the others were probably quite busy and would, most likely, be unable.  She harumphed.

Upon arriving outside the doors of the church, Mom remarked that the stockings had slipped down.  I thought, perhaps, it would be easier for her to pull them up while we were seated in the pew.  She thought it offensive to do such an activity in public.  So, right there, in front of the church, in broad daylight, she bent over and lifted the pant leg of each leg and pulled up her stockings.  "There.  See?  I didn't need to do this in public!"  Oh, Lewy...

She fell asleep a few times during Mass, and after communion she attempted to tell me I was going to the wrong pew - but the other people sitting there told her she was mistaken - this, she found unsettling, but then I helped her find our spot.

On the way back to the car she stated her toes were bothering her, but she didn't want a pedicure.  That, she said, only made the nails stronger.

We arrived at Jean's house for lunch.  They chatted about classmates and their days of old over a lunch of b-b-q chicken and rice.  Mom, I noted, no longer had a flat affect today.  She was somewhat animated.  It was good to see.

She was moved to recline at Jean's, first thing, as she was having some back pain and needed to rest.  Jean is always accomodating, and they had a very nice chat about this and that while out of the room.

We also spoke of friends who had passed, but Mother was a little indignant that no one had mentioned anything to her about their dying.  "Why didn't anyone tell me?  When did all this happen?"
We explained she had been to some of the funerals, and others were just too taxing for her to make the drive at the time;  she wouldn't believe it.   But, the subject was changed rather quickly and off on another tangent we went.

Of course, Mother loved her marionberry pie and ice cream.

After we left Jean's (upon the arrival of her daughter, Jenny, and son-in-law, Aldo, Mom decided we needed to make a quick get-away.  No rhyme or reason.  She just thought it time) we went to the store for oranges.  We bought two bags, some yogurt covered pretzels she wanted, and then went sock hunting.


Now, I'm not one to understand how stores lay out their departments, but putting bras and panties and socks together in the women's section is simply annoying and uncomfortable.  Mom languished in the Men's section where it was all clearly laid out.  Finally she was convinced to move to the Women's section.  We found some socks - she preferred the diabetic socks as they appeared more "meshy" than any of the others.  Done!

Yet, as we traipsed through the store she asked me where I'd like to eat lunch.  I reminded her we'd just eaten, but she laughed and told me I was losing my mind.  "Just when do you think we ate?  And what did we eat, pray tell?" (yes, she says that)

I told her what we'd eaten and where, and she remembered.  "Then, I guess, we don't need to worry about it, do we!" she concluded.

I took her back home, unloaded her grocery and footsie treasures, and we parted ways.

She had a good day.

Of  course, I didn't mention her speaking of her relatives in the present multiple times during the day, but then this would have been much longer...You get the idea, though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment