Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Reliving Christmas Treats

For years, Mom made lots of treats at Christmas.

She made Mount Rainiers, Butterballs, Congo Bars, Peanut Brittle, Sugar Cookies, Spritz Cookies, Nanaimo Bars, Fudge - with AND without nuts, and other assorted goodies.

Going through her recipe box has been a blast from the past.  Unfortunately, much information is locked somewhere in her mind where it's inaccessible, now; we can only guess.

So, I began putting together her recipes on the computer and saving them to the cloud, where they can be shared and fingers won't erase or smudge the information.  Much has been trial and error, and there are so many of them it's a bit difficult to get them all down; but one-by-one they're getting done.

Recently, my sister-in-law asked for the recipe for the Mount Rainiers.  Everything was there - except the number of eggs.  So, I guessed 2.  I prayed that was the right number.  This morning I tried the recipe as I gave to to Peg.  Yahoo!  I was correct.

Other recipes are missing oven temps, among other vital information, but through trial and error they're being found out, but it's a slow process.

The wonderful part of all this is that Mom isn't in the kitchen all frazzled, as she used to be.  Now, it's simply taking the candy to her (in small doses) and allowing her to relish them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment