Monday, December 15, 2014

Update Central - A Visit With The Neurologist

Earlier today, we went to Portland Adventist to visit with Mom's neurologist, Dr. B.  What a nice guy.

Unfortunately, though, even though we'd taken all the necessary steps last summer to obtain all Mom's medical records from the clinic in Port Angeles, they were never sent.  So, that became task one.

Next came the consult.  While Mom was having her blood pressure and other vitals taken, Dr. B. and I went into his office to chat.  My concern was her weight.  She's gained nearly 45 pounds in the last year, and there seems to be nothing that keeps it from going up.  Why?  Aha!  It's the Quetiapine, aka Seroquel.  Unfortunately, we cannot stop her taking it, as it helps with her hallucinations and her anxiety.  And, she's on a small dosage, as well.  <sigh>

Mom has been more confused, of late, but there are still windows of lucidity, but nothing compared to where she was the last visit.

I also asked the doctor if there was a timeline.
"You mean, how much more time she might have?"
"Yes.  What can we expect?"
"Well, it doesn't appear that she's circling the drain.  Your mother is in pretty good condition, physically, so with all the problems that will creep up due to the disease, depending on whether or not she develops a heart or other condition, I'd say you've got a fair amount of time.  Now, with the abilities she still has?  That might be going down at some point in the next couple of years."
"She also been experiencing Sundowning more often."
"Well, you can expect that to happen more frequently, now.  She's progressing, and from what I've seen and read, this will only grow worse."

Reality checks aren't necessarily for the meek.

He ran some tests on Mom, and gave her an inventory to assess her awareness.  Mom was a bit more lucid, but there were still telling elements.

He also had her perform some physical tests.  She was 'Showtiming', where she walked better than I'd seen her in ages!  She walked as though she was modeling clothes!  Harrumph!

All in all, though the visit was good.  She was exhibiting more Parkinsonian traits (obviously more visible to him than me), and he noted the lack of movement ability in her legs and arms.  She was stiffer today than at the last appointment in June (this was my observation which he affirmed).

He did have a chat with her about weight gain, and the need to be more cautious about what she was eating.  This could prove to be a health risk in the future, he stated.  She smiled and acknowledged him.

So, as we left the office, she turned to me and said, "I'm hungry.  I haven't eaten for quite some time." She had had lunch less than 2 hours before.

So, I figured a small snack.  We ended up at IHOP, where she downed a Rooti-Tooti Fresh and Fruity stack of hotcakes with bacon, and iced tea.  Yes, I feel guilty.  But she wasn't going to eat much more today.  I doubt, seriously, that she would eat much dinner - but then, you never know.

So, all in all, it was a good visit.  I'll check the portal later in the week to see if there's anything to toss around in my head, but I feel as though she's in good hands with him.  And, she really likes him, which isn't all that common with Mom and doctors.

No comments:

Post a Comment