Sunday, January 11, 2015

And the Hits Just Keep On Coming! or The Week Ending 1/11/2015

This was an interesting week for Mom.

She doesn't recall much of it, but boy is she on a mission - and then in the next breath it's in the wind!

She's been rising around 9:30 am every day, feeling rested and relaxed.  Yesterday, she arose after 10:30.  And, to boot, she's still rather tired.

No, she's not been experiencing RBD (REM Sleep Behavior Disorder) that we're aware of, but this is common with Lewy Body Dementia, apparently (and I 'll be writing about it in the coming week - stay tuned!).

She played Bingo, and participated in other activities, although she says she did none of it (she's not quite an accurate reporter).

Jean and Connie came and visited, and she and Mom went through some clothes that Mom says aren't hers (but they are!).  They had a very nice visit, playing Scrabble (did you know that I.E. is an acceptable word?  According to the Dictionary of Mom, it most certainly is!), and chatting.



They've learned some strategies for keeping Mom from trying to leave with them, and this has been quite successful.  Mom is easily distracted!

Today, I was going to take her shopping for some new clothes, but the time grew out of hand, and it took longer to purchase her groceries on my way to see her, so I'll have to figure out a way to get her to remember they're hers, if only to buy them, have her try them on, and return the ones that don't work...Hmmmmm.

Anyhow, she'd told me she was out of oranges, so I bought her two bags of tangerines, which she really enjoys.  As I was putting those and a case of Diet Pepsi in her fridge, I had to take out some cups and glasses she was storing in there.

Next, after the oranges and unpacking the Pepsi, I opened the cupboard to put in some mini chocolate bars she tells me she enjoys.  Voila!  More oranges.
"Mom, you've got oranges up here in the cupboard.  I thought you didn't have any..."
"Well, people steal them.  I don't know who did that, but I need you to be careful with them (sic)!"

I also noted that she had a bag of cards, but it was bulging with Kleenex.  Yuck!  "No, they're just wadded.  I haven't used them," she stated.  I found the idea somewhat repugnant, so I tossed the nose-wipes into the trash.

So, from there, I discovered she doesn't like the socks we bought, as they're not "lacey" enough.  There's another venture I must endure...But, I have sources for information, which I will definitely follow.   So, she's been wearing the same two pairs - with a washout every night...I warned her about how disgusting that was, and if she keeps it up, she'll invite pests, like infections, insects and vermin.  Well, I was told I was full of prunes...So much for that!

We went to Jean's for lunch, and Terry was there with Donuts.  Mom really liked those.  She ate two.  Then we had some lovely hummus and pita chips, followed by Spanish Rice and Mahi-Mahi.  Mom was ready to go in less than 2 hours after our arrival!

However, Jean tempted her with a bowl of ice cream, topped with the last of some rhubarb liqueur given me as a gift years ago.  Mom enjoyed that!

On the way home, Mom wanted to attend Betty's book group in Port Angeles, but Betty, apparently, lives walking distance from Mom's place, now (no, not really, she's about 250 miles away!).  I reminded her that we wouldn't make it until after dinner, and that would be rather rude.  Mom agreed.

She then wanted me to go out and buy her some oranges and soda.  I reminded her I'd done that and put them away for her earlier.  She said she didn't believe me, but when I showed her she couldn't understand why (she'd forgotten she'd forgotten, obviously!  is that a phrase????)



So, after the usual trying to  get me to commit to moving her furniture tomorrow (or tonight!), I left her, ready for a nap.

Mom cannot go to church anymore, unless I was to take her Saturday night, which opens a gigantic can of worms for me...and she's really not that upset that she doesn't go, either, which helps.  They do have services there, at the center, and she's encouraged to attend, which she does, but forgets within the hour.

She is declining, but her spirits are good.  I'm not too sure where we'll be within the year, but that's too far to worry about at this point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment