Thursday, January 29, 2015

Away and To the Dentist We Go.....Or, a Day with Mom

Wednesday, I went to take Mom to the dentist, something she's been clearly worried about, until last Sunday when she stated that she really needs to see her eye doctor.  Well....

So, I came in, after some very slow traffic, needing her to begin moving.  HA!  as if.  It would appear that when time is of the essence for anyone but her moving slower than a dead snail is an imperative.

After 5 minutes of looking at the coats in her closet, and then another 5 of brushing her teeth, then another 5 of finishing her coffee, then another 5 of her needing to sit, as the pain on her right side was terrible, I was finally able to prompt her to move.

Her walking was stiff and somewhat unsteady, so we needed to hold hands and move slowly, as well.

Getting into the car was also painful, but doable.  Once in, we took off, and I phoned the dentist's office to let them know we'd be a tad tardy.

Mom was full of observations - "Is that the hospital on the hill?" she asked of OHSU.  I confirmed.  Then she went on, "You know, those people just spend their money to show off, but they really aren't all that intelligent.  They're all crazy, you know, walking around and making no sense!"  Yes.  This was to be typical chat for the day.

The dentist ruled her teeth in very good condition, and Mom, as always, was very glad and in great spirits when she left.  She really does like them there.  They do all they can to make her feel special, and Dr. Brad seems to delight in being able to treat her, as well.

So, off we went for a drive to find a place to eat.

We found ourselves at Izzy's, as Mom wanted pizza, and I could think of nothing else I didn't want.  Now, this was an adventure.

We obtained a window seat and the server came over and explained how the "menu" worked.  I took Mom to the buffet, and she went right for the chicken and pizza, then plopped a few veggies onto the plate.  We sat and she imbibed in her lemon soda and water.  

  Walking with her through the line, I watched her plate begin to sag downwards, and she was a little irritated when I offered to help her with it. "What, you think I'm incapable of holding my own plate?"
     "Well, it's tipping downward, and I'm afraid you might lose your food."
     "That's incredibly rude of you.  This is my food!"
I was finally able to wrest it from her and successfully delivered her plate to the table.

Even though you'd think she ate tons, due to her weight gain, Mom actually just nibbles.  Her body was tremoring such that if you weren't aware of it, you might miss it, but it was definitely there - the entire body.

After, we decided it was too late to see a movie at the cineplex, and began to drive back to St. A's, where her mother was waiting for her to help her do some family writing, and my youngest brother was coming with his little girls for a visit (the girls are all in their twenties).  I told her they'd wait  if they already arrived.

On the Marquam bridge she began to panic.   "Where's the dog?"
"What dog?"
"That nice little dog that those nice people gave you at the restaurant?"
I had to think quickly.  "Oh, do you mean Samson?  My little dog?"
"I don't know.  Maybe."
"I asked them to hold on to him for me, and I'll pick him up on my way home."
"Oh.  That was nice of them."
By now, we were at OMSI, to see if, perhaps, we could possibly watch an IMAX.  But parking was an issue, and Mom really was having troubles getting up and moving (the restaurant was an event in getting her out of her seat!  I began to wonder if she wasn't playing it up, by this point).

So, we headed back to St. A's, after a lovely drive through various neighborhoods in Beaverton, Raleigh Hills, Woodstock, and Holgate.

When we finally arrived back at her place we needed to get out of the car.   She asked me to support her right leg and I bent down to do it.  I had barely brushed her pant leg below her actual leg when she gave out a scream of pain!  "
Stop it!  Stop it!  You're being too rough!"

I stepped back and looked at her.
  "What?" she asked calmly.
"I barely even touched you pant leg, and never touched you."
"Oh."  She looked a little guilty.
I gasped.  "You're playing all this up, aren't you!  You're being a real drama queen!"
She let out a laugh.  Then she began to laugh harder.
I believe the pain was real, but nothing as terrible as she let on.  she was able, through the laughter, to get herself out of the car.
But, before she did, I requested a picture of the drama queen.  You can see the results.

Once inside, she began getting herself ready for a nap.  She was quite tired.  It was a good day, and I'm glad we have our appointment on Monday...Perhaps we'll see if she has a UTI, or if it's actually something else.

The truth be known, 4 months ago Mom was in okay shape mentally.  The past three months have seen her decline in her awareness and abilities.  The rapidity with which it's happening is a tad frightening.  But, one never knows with LBD...
And her birthday is coming up on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment