Thursday, March 10, 2016

Dogs and Dementia Patients

Of course, I realize, this strays a bit away from what I’ve been typically posting, but it really isn’t.   It occurred to me earlier, that my own sense of being is secured by having pets - namely dogs - and this is also calming.  

While it is documented that having an animal companion can help with depression, anxiety, and other conditions, I also have seen some literature about the use of animals with dementia patients.  I thought I’d share some of this with you at this point.

Animals, by their very “nature”, are non-judgmental, making them the perfect therapists and companions for individuals with dementia. They can provide a tremendous source of social support and unconditional love.
Research shows that people with dementia recognize a pet in the environment as friendly and non-threatening. When they have a pet with them, studies show they display more interactive behaviors, although these behaviors are often directed toward the pet rather than their human companions.
Dogs have proven to reduce agitation and increase pleasure just by their presence. They also have the ability to increase the amount of physical activity a patient participates in. Depending on the mobility of the patient, they may be able to engage in playful activities with the dog, take it on a short walk, or simply take the time and effort to groom the animal.
It has even been shown that dementia patients eat more following the visit of a therapy animal. Spending time with an animal has even been correlated to lower blood pressure and increased odds of survival after a heart attack. Many individuals with Alzheimer’s, who respond to little or nothing else in their environment, will respond to the non-threatening presence of a gentle therapy animal. An animal also provides a natural and easy conversation topic for dementia patients, who often feel a great deal of strain from being put into social situations.
I remember how much Mother disliked my first dogs - she found them too active and mischievous for her liking.  She did, though, appreciate my one female.  And, as Mom and Skally aged, I would find them both in the living room in the late evening, Skally resting on the sheepskin rug, and Mom in her chair.  Mom would be chatting with Skally - something she vehemently denied, but nonetheless, I caught her on many occasions.  This memory also led me to this post.  IMG_20140630_170101242.jpg
Later, after my two smaller dogs had passed, Mom came for a visit, not realizing I had rescued a smaller dog, as well.  Mom entered the family room, sat in the recliner, and up popped Samson, a peke-a-poo.  Oddly, Mom smiled and said, “Well, hello there!  Who are you?”  Thus began a love affair between the two.  I had known Mom was growing a little daughty, but this began to prove it.  She did not like dogs all that well - she was quite jealous of mine!  But there she was, delighting in Samson to the extent that she demanded I come up and bring him so she could introduce him to her friends!  He did seem to calm her and bring her joy.  
I have also seen a woman bring in her dog for visits.  The rules are that the dogs are calm, clean, and well-mannered.  Having three, I cannot bring them all in, even though Samson would be the one who would fit the bill, but I cannot guarantee he’d be completely mannerly for the entirety of the visit...he sort of takes after his pop (me).  
“Even people with Alzheimer’s recognize a dog and they see that the dog is someone new in their environment. I think they see it as someone with whom they can interact without any worry,” explains Mara M. Baun, DNSc, a coordinator of the PhD in nursing program at the University of Texas Health Sciences Center at the Houston School of Nursing in Houston.
I recall when my niece brought in her wee baby to visit with Mom a few years ago.  All the women came at them wanting to touch and feel the baby.  A dog is more appropriate and at less risk of being traumatized.  
It’s the feel, the touch, the warmth of the spirit of the animal that warms the heart.  And, recent studies have also shown that dogs and humans are more closely related than we had thought.
So, that’s my post  for today.  See you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment