Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Reflection Time

IMG_20160229_195252478.jpg
Mom in the Alps 2000.  Photocopy courtesy of Connie

Less than 16 years ago, Mom had been all over Europe.  She would venture there several more times before 2011.  In fact, in November, Mom spoke of taking another trip to Spain, as she felt at home there, and wanted to see even more than she had previously.  She stated that she was going to go with her friend, Nadya.  When I mentioned this to Nadya, though, she balked - there was no way she was going to go with her as Mom wasn’t in her right mind.  

I wasn’t shocked; I would have been had Nadya agreed that they were going and it would be delightful.  I would have had to assume they were birds of a feather, and it wasn’t only Mom who was having problems!  

But if we consider 16 years and all that happens in that short a time, it makes one inhale deeply and reflect on how we use our time.  

During that time, my nephews and nieces graduated college, donned careers, many married and had children, others traveled, and a great deal of life was lived.  I suppose it has something to do with facing mortality at this stage of life - it seems to go by so suddenly, and yet, it doesn’t.  

We live in the moment, and many times lose track of what’s happened or all that really occurred.  There are those of us who may consider we haven’t really used the time as well as we should - and that thought lasts until we find more distractions.  

The truth is, we tend to put things off we really want to do, and may never realize the chances again, due to illness or (as Mom would put it) calamities that present themselves in our lives.

Consider this - if you knew you were going to be afflicted with dementia at some point, would you change anything?  Would you prepare things to help your family?  Would you take advantage of opportunities and worry about what the naysayers may spout?  

Just a thought….

1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic , the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete