Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A MOOC About Dementia That Sounds Too Good to Pass Up!

I realize this is a day earlier than usual, but I need to strike while the iron is hot, and I have the time to put this out there.

When I first learned about LBD, my understanding of Dementia was limited.  AS my grandmother had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, this shaped my view.  I had no idea the field had opened so much more, bringing into the conversation Alzheimer's, Parkinson's Dementia, SunDowning, Vascular Dementia, Huntington's, and Lewy Body Dementia to name several.  This seems rather overwhelming, especially, with my understanding, that forms of dementia aren't necessarily pure, and they can mix.  Arrrrg!

I was feeling more sure-footed when my cousin phoned me to tell me her mom had been diagnosed with LBD, as well.  She was spouting off what she'd learned which was what I had already learned and come to the door of understanding.  I pointed her to the LBD Association website, which offers a great deal of information to those who want to know more.

So, I went to the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute on Aging.  Here I found even more information.

However, the LBD site didn't answer all my questions.   So, I began digging a little deeper to see what else I could find.    I also began the Lewy Body Dementia Support/Blog site on Google+, in hopes to catch something from someone dealing with something similar.  Here I found information coming from Home Care and Elder Care sites, The Alzheimer Reading Room, The Mayo Clinic, among others.  These have proven interesting, and have provided fodder for further investigation as they've opened new questions and possibilities.  For this I'm terribly grateful.

Just yesterday, I came upon an offer for a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course, and the link will take you to a site that lists many of the courses that are opening in the next month or so), through the University of Tasmania which looks too interesting to pass up!  The topic is Understanding Dementia.  The enrollment is open, now, for the 9 week course.  This is offered to anyone interested, as long as you're willing to do the coursework (about 3 hours per week).

IF you're interested, I've provided the link to the course in the title.  The UTas link simply tells you about the Univeristy of Tasmania.

The course will focus on 3 (three) elements:  The Brain, The Diseases, and The Person.

Of course, this is my first MOOC, even though I've given thought to other classes, but on other topics that sounded like fun dabbling.

So, if you're interested in joining me, and countless others from around the globe on an educational journey about Dementia, sign up now!  

No comments:

Post a Comment