Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Week Ending 9/14/2014

What a bumpy ride this week was!
Mom reacts to silliness

Tuesday, I went to pick Mother up for the funeral.  She wasn't dressed poorly, but not how I would want my mother to look at a funeral (very casual clothes).  But, considering the circumstances, there was very little time for figuring a change of clothes for her.  So, off we went.

The funeral was right down the street from Mom's residence, which made it all the easier.  As we walked in, she was reunited with two classmates from St. Mary's Academy.  She knew who they were, but didn't have a great deal to say to them, except that she remembered them.

During the rite, she inquired where Dad had gone.  I probed for more information and was informed that he had come with us and then just a moment before had just left.  I told her he had a couple of errands to run, but would try to be back in good time.  She bought it.  Whew!

After the funeral, which was nice and small, we went to the reception where we sat with her classmates and the departed's sister (who had delivered the eulogy).

Mom kept asking them the same questions about where they lived and when they graduated.  They handled it wonderfully.  They asked where Mom lived, and I told them at St. Anthony's.  Then they seemed to understand.

This was very good for Mom.  She had some good mental stimulation and it was outside the box for her - going down memory lane with people she'd not seen almost 67 years ago.  Wow!

When I returned her, she was full from the cake and punch, so she wanted to nap.

I then checked in with the staff.  They informed me she was under the belief I was sleeping in her bed with her every night, but getting up early to return at some point - she was waiting in her room every morning for my entry; I told the staff to tell her to go ahead and do whatever until I returned.

The staff also informed me that she had really declined in the previous two weeks.  Her hallucinations were more pronounced and she was not sleeping as well.

Thursday, the RLC came to visit armed with Trivial Pursuits.  The reports were positive.  Everyone had strong suits, and it provided a great deal of fodder for chatting.  It was a great change from the weekly Scrabble game.

Today, Sunday, I went in early to take Mom to Mass.  She was in a mood.  One of the staff, who she normally likes and enjoys was receiving Mom's wrath!  Mom was insulting and muttering evil under her breath.  What I wasn't aware of was this happened daily for the past week and a half!  My fear was Mom was beginning to suffer from capgras, or the delusion that someone is not really who they are (when they truly are!).  But, I was wrong.  Phew!

As I put Mom's stockings on her feet, she began cursing at me and called me a very disgusting name.  I looked up and told her that if she ever spoke to me like that again I would leave immediately.  This helped close her yap.   On the lighter side, her feet have begun to shrink in girth - her shoes are beginning to fit much better.

Finally, we were able to leave.  On the way to Mass, she told me to never threaten her again.  I stated that what she said was absolutely inappropriate and for her to remember that if she insulted me then it boomeranged back to her, as I was supposedly her genetic product.  Again, she went silent.  And then the day began to brighten.

Walking to and from Mass and the car, I noted that her shuffling is much greater.  Her balance was improved, but she is truly shuffling.

We went to Jean's for a lovely lasagne lunch and a wonderful visit.  After lunch and pineapple sherbet, we left.  Mom told me that Jean's family had had that piece of property for generations, and developed it.  She told me how wise Jean's grandfather had been to set that piece of property aside for his children and grandchildren.  I thought, 'What a wonderful delusion that I must share with Jean!' as this was far from true, but in Mom's reality it is.

I dropped her off and she went down for a nap.  She was truly exhausted.  So, after I placed the orchid back in the window, and the beautiful dahlias Jean had given her next to it, I parted.

Wondering what adventures this next week will bring!   

No comments:

Post a Comment