Sunday, May 31, 2015

The Art of Mommy Moodiness or The Week Ending 05/31/2015

Interesting week this was.

Mom went to BINGO, did her recumbent bicycle, her upper body exercises, and took some walks.  These she did with a bit of refusal, but then decided to do them.  Her back, she complains.  There is no doubt she has some back pain; however, most of it is due to her unwillingness to move much unless coerced.

Yes, last weekend she spent her time in her room, in her chair or in bed.

This weekend she was up and about doing her normal day-to-day doings.  Nothing appeared out of the ordinary

Earlier in the week, though, Jean came to see her sans Connie who is still recuperating but on the mend.   She wanted to have Mom write a card (with her help, of course) to Connie.  Mom agreed, and an hour and a half later it was done.  Whew!  That woman has the patience of Job!

Jean wrote the majority of it, but what Mom wrote was very hard to decipher; in fact if you were to read it and translate it made very little sense, indeed.  Yet, her heart was in it and this was the important element.

Finally, Jean wanted to take Mom outside to enjoy the flowers she enjoys so much outside her window.  This took another twenty minutes (probably longer, knowing Mom), and they were able to take a brief walk and sit on the benches and in the gazebo, where they chatted.

Jean commented that Mom's voice, when reading, is quite strong and confident.  However, as soon as she is speaking for herself it becomes a stifled murmur, which is quite difficult to understand.  This I've seen, but Mom tends to have no real issues with me.  Hmmmmmm.

So, this afternoon my brother went to scoop her up but Mom had taken off her socks.  So, they needed to put them back on.  Next, she decided she needed to change her clothes.  It wasn't that she was unprepared for his entrance but Mom has this propensity to make decisions about things willy-nilly (usually when someone comes in to take her somewhere and there isn't a great deal of time to bluster about).  Finally, after nearly 40 minutes, he was able to commandeer her out the door and into his car (My comment was that now he has more of an idea of what I experience, except she isn't quite so quick).

At dinner she entered and when I came to greet her she stated that I was simply worthless.  Wherever that came from I've no idea.  But, I sat near her and we chatted for a bit.

Now, mind you, holding a conversation with Mom is nothing ordinary.  There are huge shifts in thought every few words, so you have to be on your toes.

She wanted to leave so she could lie down at home, but we kept reminding her that we were eating dinner there.  She had wine (actually lemonade with wine splash) which seemed to keep her happy; she wanted to know where this type of wine was sold and how much - that made things a tad brighter.

When it came time to leave she was not very willing.  She went from the table to the sofa, then, as we finally were able to bring her back to her feet, she demanded to find a bed on which she could lie.  This wasn't an option.  She became a little defiant, and as I was trying to take her hands she scratched me and began to fight me.  Finally, my brother put his hand on her shoulder which seemed to calm her and I took her hand and gently led her to the car, where she sat and stated that she needed to go back in and rest.  So, I put her seat harness around her and we took off for St. A's.

On the way home, she had forgotten about the earlier experience within 5 minutes.  She wanted to know if I'd be staying with her that evening or in my own bed.  Duh.   She wasn't completely happy.

We arrived at St. A's and entered the main hall.  She looked down the corridor which led to North Cottage, and she asked where we were.  I told her.  She stated she had never ever been down this way before.  I told her it would be a new adventure and a short cut to her room.  She obliged by coming with me.

As we entered North Cottage she went to the first sofa and sat.  She stated she was just too tired to continue and wanted to just stay there and rest.
"Sleep, you mean?" I inquired.
"Oh, yes.  I can get to my bed later," she remarked.
So, I went over to the med-aid, Susan, who was working in her office and she helped me lug Mom over to her room (now, why is Mom so cooperative with everyone but us?).
   She had some Vicodin, and I left her to get some sleep.  She was happy.

The question that now arises is whether or not having her for dinner is really in her best interest.  She has no problems leaving from Jean's, but from my brother's it seems an Act of God to get her out the door.   Of course, he takes her for wonderful Sunday drives first, so could it be the stimulation that wears her down? or does she just assume that since it's his home there's not any reason for her to actually leave?

I believe it has something to do with it being us.  With others, she doesn't wish to seem impolite or show her true colors - with us it's a different story - we owe her and must do her bidding no matter what.

So, do  we continue?  Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment