Sunday, June 7, 2015

A Day of Delusional Construction ... OR The Week Ending 06/07/2015

What a glorious day!

The sun is out and the temperatures soared into the low 90's.  The morning air was fresh and full of promise. It must have touched Mom, as well, as she was moving better than I've seen in some time.

This week she's been doing her physical therapy - upper body and recumbent bike, taking small walks, going to BINGO, and spending quite some time in bed.

On Wednesday, Jean came for a visit.  She brought a ribbon to help tie Mom's curtains together (as Mom ties them together like a sweater around the shoulders) and Mom gave her direction on just how to perform the task.

Later, they went outside with Mom wearing a light jacket (even though it was close to 80!).  They brought tangerines with them and a plate for the peels.  They walked along the path admiring the roses and other blooms showing their fertile colors at this time of year.  Then they sat on the wooden bench so they could admire the entire garden and chat.

Barbara, the hairdresser, entered the garden and they chatted with her for a short time and then went back into Mom's quarters.   Here they chatted about activities and things done with Mom's mother and my father.  Jean thought it wonderful that Mom is acquiring new memories of her past loved ones, and I must agree.

It was a lovely visit and lasted a little under 2 hours.  Mom was ready for a rest.

Today, Mom refused to shower but was ready for me, wearing her sweater shirt and peddle pushers.   She was reading the paper and thought it best to bring along the adverts to Jean's house, just in case.  I asked if there was anything she needed to do before we left and she considered this for a moment then said, "I would really like to look around for things that other people have left here.  Maybe then we could go to their houses and drop them off."  I agreed, then asked if she was ready.  She was.  

I then stated that she might want to reconsider her shirt as it was supposed to be quite hot today.  She looked at me as though I was nuts and replied, "Why would I?  This is nice and I wouldn't want to wear anything conspicuous."  A sweater in summer - inconspicuous.  Hmmmmm.

So, she arose quite quickly and with little effort.   I alerted Jean we were on our way (it was a total of 10 minutes at most, this time.  A new record!).

We took a scenic route through the Clinton and Hawthorne areas.  As we drove through the Clinton neighborhood I remarked that it was quite pretty.  "What are you talking about?" asked Mom.  "The neighborhood or the music (I had on classical)?"
   "Both," I responded.
    "You know, if you are going to be rude, people are going to stop speaking to you," was her response.  It took me a few seconds to think about her answer, then realized something wasn't sparking quite right.

We made it to Jean's, where we were joined by her son, Tim.  Mom was quite anxious to go within minutes, as her mother was going to be going back to do some things with Mom.  This was a theme for about 30 minutes until Tim left, I began fixing lunch, and Jean took Mom into the front parlor to show her the new car seat she'd bought for her granddaughter.

We had a healthy lunch, then Mom had some ice cream and cookies.  It was pretty low-key, and she seemed to comprehend most of what was happening, even though there were times when Jean and I looked at each other wondering where some of Mom's statements were coming from.

Then, Mom stated that I needed to call my grandmother and get the door out of the car to help her.  Apparently my grandmother had so many things on her shoulders (Mom's words) that my bringing the door would help.    I'm clueless here.

We left for home, but before we did there was the entering the car bit.

I opened the door for Mom.  She thought it too hot so she demanded I get in on my side first so she could see how hot it was.  Apparently it was a normal thing for a son to do for his mother.  I helped her in and scurried around to my side.  I then opened all the windows to let the heat out and cranked up the A/C.  She was fine.

As we drove through Irvington she commented on a few homes telling me who lived there.  I'm not sure it was fact, but it was interesting, nonetheless.

We passed by the house where I was born and she told me my oldest brother was born there, as well (we were really birthed at hospital, but ... well, you get the idea).  The latter part of that was untrue.

When I returned her she was spent.  She just wanted to lie down and nap.  I took a gander for the ribbon Jean had brought, but nary a sign of it existed.  I inquired, but Mom told me there never was a ribbon.  <sigh>


So, she had a bright and sunny week.    This week  promises more warm temperatures and a busy three days beginning on Saturday - but more of that next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment