Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Book Review: Activities 101 for the Family Caregiver: Dementia



I bought this book last summer in an attempt to figure out some ideas as to how to better engage Mom.  Well, at the time what I truly wanted was something that would help me help her, as well; but this book didn’t quite fit the criteria I was hoping to find.


However, in retrospect, and upon re-reading it, I found a most wonderful resource for the population who are wondering what to do, or what to make of the predicament of having a loved one who has been diagnosed with dementia (there are other books, too, in which they cover Parkinson’s, Frontotemporal Lobe Dementia, Lewy Body Dementia, How to Engage and How to Live) these would be most welcome resources for those who are searching for something that would help lay the path and instruct on the necessities for caring for their loved one(s).  


To give the reader an idea of the book’s layout, I will list the table of contents
  1. Activities, Their Benefits and the Family;
  2. Dementia Overview and Symptoms;
  3. Home Preparation;
  4. Information Gathering and Assessment;
  5. Communicating and Motivating for Success;
  6. Customary Routines and Preferences;
  7. Planning and Executing Activities;
  8. Activity Categories, Types, Topics and Tips;
  9. Review.
There is also a substantial index and list of resources for further investigation at the end of the book.  


While the book is not wordy, rather pithy, it reads very easily, taking into account that less is more and those struggling to understand their situation need to be fed information in a simple and straightforward manner.  


Even after dealing with Mom’s dementia for 2.5 years or more, and now dealing with the final stages, I found myself learning.  


The book is the product of R.O.S. Therapy Systems, which helps caregivers venture along the path of working with patients suffering from forms of dementia, Parkinson’s, Stroke, and a variety of other maladies in which the brain and functions suffer.   It is the first, I found, of others, including lesson plans, activities, and there is, indeed, a store there in which all their products are available (I bought mine at Amazon.com).  


Had I been sane enough to have bought this book at the beginning of the journey with Mom, it may have helped me in many ways, whilst giving her the benefits of the activities and, perhaps, slowing the progression of the disease - however, this is something that will remain a mystery.  


To be honest, I would suggest this book first, or even the book dealing with Lewy Body Dementia (should that be the diagnosis).  As I stated earlier, it’s a quick read, and lends itself to teaching the reader quickly.  If only I’d found it so much earlier.


Silknitter, Worsley.  Activities 101 for the Family Caregiver - Dementia.   ROS Therapy Systems.  Greensboro. 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment