Sunday, December 20, 2015

One Week Before Xmas, or The Week Ending 12/20/2015

T’was the week before Christmas and all through the home,
All the residents were stirring, some sitting like gnomes.
The decorations were hung and put out with glee,
And they listened to music  that brought spirits -lively.
IMG_20151220_111200450_HDR.jpg
This was a pretty good week for Mom.  In truth, you’d not realize she was on hospice at this point.  She ate a little better, she was determined to walk - and mastered her walker.  She is wearing clothing she shunned for some time, but now she has a goodly number of outfits that look quite comely on her.   She does still use the recliner, but usually, after she’s been tired out - how often this happens, I don’t know; but I do know the staff has told me she follows them about quite regularly.

She was pleasant all week.  She was engaged.  She has lost her speech - well, in regards to making a great deal of sense when the response calls for more than one or two words.  Her voice is quiet.  Her attention is more toward the colorful items around her, rather than anything else, and it can shift quite rapidly.

On Wednesday, Jean came by for a visit.  
Dear Tony,
At 2 pm I arrived at St. Anthony's, and what a nice surprise I found!  Just as I was about to code for entry to South Cottage, about 20 middle-schoolers came from North Cottage and went into South.  All carried 2-3 small wrapped gifts.  They lined up in front of the residents (at tables and, like Norma, in recliners) and sang "Jingle Bell Rock" with gusto.  Then they sang it again, after a "bridge" of giggles.
I grabbed a chair to sit beside Norma to enjoy music and the kids' with their packages.
Then they all circulated among residents, giving them gifts and handmade Christmas cards.  Alecia (?) gave your mom two packages,which I helped her unwrap...soft gloves and a bottle of lotion.How nice!
I asked Alecia where  they are from; St. Therese.  Norma smiled, seemed pleased, did not really say anything (unless I missed it, or forgot).
Cheyenne, a pretty little girl, had a third pkg.for Mom. Norma wanted to keep it wrapped, as I was about to help her--besides, I wanted to see what it was.
I asked Norma if she'd had a shower this am. Nope! I stay quiet to give her time to think and speak.
Her room was a mess!  I know it probably was fine when she returned. She did not seem sleepy, was watching everything, trying to express a thought, but not completing it. Did not seem frustrated, just stopped talking.
I brought another plastic cup for Norma, a copy of the first one. And I had a Christmas card for her. At my request, she read  aloud the note I had written. Read it perfectly, that is. No comment. After a while, I offered to put her gifts in her room,  where they would not be taken. (Besides, I wanted to see that third one.  It's lt.blue, a soft headband.)  Gifts are in a small drawer in her dresser.
We just sat together, watched Morina work on a puzzle. Morina reminded Norma that she and Norma had worked on it this am.  Lucille was sitting  and watching; a big smile when I spoke to her.
At 3:30 I said I wanted to get home before dark, and sure enough, it was darkening outside as I drove home.
It was a nice visit, good to see your mom looking a bit interested in her surroundings.  She wore a cozy white sweater, with the soft blue throw over her legs. She was okay as I kissed her goodbye.
God bless,
Jean

Mom was able to weakly recall the children caroling today when I saw her.

Saturday, Mom had a little issue with her pills.  She had been agitated all day - probably due to confusion.  She refused her pills, and when the aide asked for them back, Mom clinched them in her fist - quite tightly - and tried to swing a punch with the other.  She failed to connect, and they were able to finally take the medications from her for later.  

Today, Mom was happily reading the ads in the Sunday paper.  One of the newer residents sat at the end of the table and addressed Mother.  They had a very brief, yet pleasant, exchange.  Mom was quite glad to see me, and we had some coffee together.  She did recall she’d eaten some eggs for breakfast, but that was all I could decipher from what she was telling me.  

She read the two cards I brought her from her friends Helga and Sharon in Port Angeles.  She thought them beautiful, and they were.  

Later, I encouraged her to try the  crossword puzzle in the paper.  She liked that idea (remember, it’s been less than 5 months since she stopped solving these).  I found a pencil for her and we began.  One of the clues was:  Pomeranian (e.g.).  I told her it would be breed, but she took the pencil and began making pictures around the word ‘Crossword’ at the top of the page.  “Yes, it’s a puzzle,” she remarked.  This was her answer as I kept trying different strategies to get her to write.
IMG_20151220_114221067_HDR.jpg
We also chatted about the decorations.  She stated that this one resident, dressed in shiny red pajama-like clothes, was probably from South America, or something.  I laughed and she chided me for doing so.  I stated that the resident was from Portland, and Mom had gone to school with her when she was much younger.  Mom just stared at me as though I’d lost my marbles (to be honest, there really are times….!!!!!).  

As I left, Mom did state she would like some Xmas candy and cookies, which I offered to make for her for a little later in the week.  So, these will be arriving in a couple of days.  

Until then, Keep her in your prayers and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment